Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 RAM 1500 4x4 quad Transmission

vange
08-13-2004, 01:11 AM
I have a 1999 dodge Ram 1500 4x4 quad. My OD (overdrive) light comes on after about 20 minutes of driving. I think the transmission is getting hot or is sensing a load but there is none and is kicking it into OD. What I have noticed recently is that the when it is hot out or I'm sitting in traffic the TranTemp light comes on. I did not buy the truck new and since I have had it I have not did anything with the transmission. The truck has 100,000 miles and I brought it with 80,000. The weird think is the transmission seems to be working fine just that it goes into OD all by its self and can not be taken out. Can you offer any suggestions. Should I have it flushed or tuned up. Thanks in advance

Vange

RexNfx400
08-15-2004, 10:45 PM
TOT(Transmission Oil Temp) sensor could be bad or it could be actually be overheating. Need to scan computer for temp with scanner and use a Raytek or other infared temp checker on tranny. Then you will know if TOT is sending the right info to PCM.

troy1
08-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Check for cooler flow

Gocards
09-07-2004, 08:54 AM
I have the same truck but I thought it was normal for the overdrive to be on automatically when the truck is started. Turned off only when You wanted it turned off.

iron_creed
10-22-2004, 06:44 PM
Had to have my xmssn rebuilt @ ~115K. Transmission Shop said Dodge was notorious for underrating coolers. I also heard something once about a check valve in xmssn line blocking / limiting flow and to cut valve out of line, haven't seen this for sure myself. Also, I noticed gas Dodges shift like hell. Mine shifts 20-30 in a 60 mile strech of rather level interstate, even did new.

scoutinkeith
10-26-2004, 02:07 PM
normally the od is on, unless you push the "OD OFF" button. if the light is coming on, and it is shifting out of OD by itself, then like mentioned above, either the trans is over heating, or there is a bad temp sensor.
and yes, there is a check valve in the cooler line that is supposed to keep the fluid from draining out of the convertor when the truck is shut off. with that many miles on the truck, there is a good chance that there is some buildup that has gotten stuck in the check valve, and restricting flow to the cooler.
Keith

Add your comment to this topic!