Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Engine rebuild

bigrod118
08-12-2004, 07:52 PM
im about to embark on my first "rebulid" if you want to call it that. I have a 93 gt 1.8 with 140,000 on it, and im getting the same motor from a junkyard that runs with about 100,000 on it. and I am just planning on working on this motor to get it to run better to last much longer. im looking for ideas of things that I can do to make this motor like new as possible. i dont know how much all this will cost, but im hoping for remilling, port and polish, new valves and springs and rockers perhaps, pistons and rods if I can find them, things like that. I hoping for any suggestions, sdvice, place to find parts, anything that could be of use. any input is appreciated.

Jet-Lee
08-13-2004, 08:15 AM
have it bored over, and honed. It will make sure your cylinder walls are free from scratches and grooves, meanwhile giving you a slightly larger displacement. Don't forget though, if it's bored over, you have to get pistons and rings to match.

RatLabGuy
08-13-2004, 08:56 AM
"i dont know how much all this will cost, but im hoping for remilling, port and polish, new valves and springs and rockers perhaps, pistons and rods if I can find them, things like that."

If you take the short block to a machine shop and have them do all of these, you will prob be looking in the 7-800 range, just a guess.
A good shop will tell you if it need sto be honed or not. Only 100k miles, if it was cared for, probably not. There's alot of misc stuff, like getting the crank turned, mediablasting the block so it's clean, etc.

bigrod118
08-13-2004, 02:48 PM
after somem ore thinking and talking with some people, I have been coming up with more things to do, like of course a new gasket kit, I want port and polish, new valves, springs, piston rings, camshafts and gears, new intake, throttle body, I want to find a msd ignition that will work for it perhaps, or at least just really good wires and plugs, bearings. pistons if there in bad enough shape and I can find new ones. I guess im trying to accomplish two things, rebuild it so it will last longer and make it "like new" and at the same time put all the performance parts in it I can to get the most power out of it. cuz if I spend all of this money on this motor I want it to last at least another 100,00. thanks for the input.

butch100
08-18-2004, 01:41 AM
definatly new bearings, there pretty cheap for a whole set
(around $50), If your not going to replace the stock intake
manifold with a higher perf. aftermarket one then have a machine
shop clean the stock one for you. It would be a shame to
do all that work only for something to dislodge and fall into the
motor......

Add your comment to this topic!