Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pressure on 3.2L

tension
08-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Can anyone tell me what the correct fuel pressure is for a 97 rodeo with a 3.2L engine.
It is running rich. I checked the fuel pressure and the gauge gave me alomst 40 PSI with the vacum hose attached to the fuel pressure regulator and about 50 PSI with it removed. The Haynes manual says the pressure should be 25-30 PSI and 30-38 PSI respectively. But I have heard that the Haynes manuals are often wrong about things. 25-30 seems a bit low. Can anyone verify this. I want to know before I switch out the regulator.
Thanks

2eyefishclaw
08-12-2004, 07:52 PM
40 to 44
is normal

tension
08-13-2004, 12:01 AM
Are you really sure?
If this is the case then I will have run out of solutions as to why my rodeo is running rich.
40 to 44 is radically different to what the haynes book says.
Any Ideas?

95.5 Rodeo
08-13-2004, 01:09 AM
I've found many differences between my Chilton manual and the factory service manual. I'm sure the same can be said for the Haynes, they are just too generic.

Anyway, If your fuel pressure is too high or low, according to the factory service manual, it should set code 45 or 44 respectively. When my fuel filter was clogged, I got a check engine light and a code 44 (too lean).

40 sounds OK to me. My manual lists 41 - 46 psi as normal for my model year.

As far as running rich goes, I don't know what problem you are having.
My Rodeo had a bad oxygen sensor-

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=258045

FWIW, 2eyefishclaw works with Isuzus everyday, so I've come to trust what he says about things.

Let us know if you find the problem.

Dale

tension
08-13-2004, 02:02 AM
Which engine do you have on your 95 rodeo?
The haynes manual says 40 to be ok for the 2.6
I have the 3.2. which it says 25-30

95.5 Rodeo
08-13-2004, 11:31 AM
I have the 3.2 liter V6.

tension
08-13-2004, 02:41 PM
You are right. It is not running rich from too much pressure. However I went and changed the regulator anyway because I was not really even getting 40 I was getting somwhere between 36 and 38. I figured changing it would not be a bad thing.
After I changed it I got a steady 40 with sometimes 42.
I would say that is an improvement. I faintly hoped it would help my problem but it is still there. After driving the vehicle around a bit I parked it and let it idle. I jumped underneath and watched the cat slowly turn red hot. Bummer.

Here is what I have done to it so far:
Changed regulator
Changed plugs (ngk)
Changed oil.
Changed cat (the old ran so hot that it clogged)
Changed filters
changed pcv
Added a couple of bottles of injector cleaner to my tank.

In the course of this problem I have gotten the following codes
p0174 (too lean bank 2) ( I got this one repeatedly in the first days)
p0152 (o2 sensor circuit high voltage, bank 2 sensor 1) I got this one the last time I got a CEL

I get the CEL after driving it between 20 and 30 miles. So I can go a couple of days with out it turning on.

The vehicle has 100k it runs pretty strong. No loss in power detected.
It starts very well. Exhaust is clear and looking normal. It does not stall it does not buck. I would even say it purrs. The only problem is that gas mileage is about 9 miles a gallon (city) when I have always gotten at least 15. And of coures the neon REd Cat. Oh yeah and sometimes at idle I do notice it slightly surging from 800 rpm (wich it holds pretty steady most of the time) to 1200rpm and then back to 800.
I Hope you guys can help. for I am a bit lost.
I though about changing all the O2 sensors because its about that time anyway. But my pockets are not that deep at the moment. I eventually do plan on doing this but if there is something else that I am missing before I want to get it done first.

Thanks for your help guys.
This forum rocks!

Abe

Add your comment to this topic!