Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Was I taken by Ford dealership????

savingtess
08-12-2004, 02:00 PM
Okay, this is my first post but I'm stranded, literary and figuratively, so here it goes:
93 Ford Probe overheats on me. I take it to the Ford Dealership and they tell me I need.
Sepentine Belt
Alternator as well as Alternator Belt
Timing Belt
Water Pump
Flushing out the Radiator
600 dollars later and the first time I drive my car move than a few miles the car overheats.
Was I totally taken here? I called them and they told me that they don't quarantee service, only parts. I asked them if they didn't fix the problem, then what DID they fix with all the work they "did" on it. The guy said he didn't know but they would be happy to do more work on it. I bet.
Well that's about it. My savings are gone and my respect for the people hired by my local Ford branch.
Thanks
tess stranded in the south

katzamarang
08-15-2004, 03:20 AM
from my experience never trust your baby with ford dealerships, they over charge and "fix" things that dont need fixing and dont fix things that do need fixing. find some independant mechanic etc, they will actually care and know that we arent made of money and can sometimes make some really good deals to help you out.

QuikShifter
08-18-2004, 12:02 AM
Sorry man! go back there and ask them to show you the new serpentine belt and alternator that they installed. They should both look new. Did they tell you why you need a new timing belt?? or alternator, what relationship do these parts have with overheating anyway?? Next time, if you have to go to the dealer, go to the mazda dealer(cheaper & more thorough) and if possible stop by a few local mechanic shops and just do some homework so you have a clue of whats going on. be sure to challenge them too if you smell some greediness. and when you pick up your car after this kind of job. crank it up and let it warm up while you chat some bs with the sales men so that if something aint right, you will not have driven off the lot and you are entitled to have it fixed before you pay another dime!! be careful & Good luck!

psgt21
08-19-2004, 01:07 PM
I agree, never take your car to a Ford garage. My headlights wouldn't work on my car, they hadd the car for 2 days and they did a half assed job putting in a new ground. It cost me $250. If you have to, go to the Mazda garage. My brother is an engineer for Ford and he agrees that their service depts. suck.

PS: It might be the thermostat or a head gasket.

Later
Patrick

Tractor 68 Boy
08-19-2004, 01:30 PM
THERMOSTAT!!!!!!! Some can be easily replaced, I dont know how yours is, but look at it and if you think you can do it yourself go for it. Yes you,like many others was taken by FORD, thats part of why I quit and got back to workin on tractors. Its horrible to see people ripped off like that, thats why I help people on here.

Add your comment to this topic!