Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Battery light on and just put in a new battery. Help!

1996SC1
08-12-2004, 01:01 PM
1996 SC1 - Just put in a brand new battery two days ago. Battery light just came on last night. Could this mean the new battery is not good or is there some other potential electrical issue? The battery light did not come on for two days and the car was driven numerous times. This forum has been a great help for issues. Thanks.

sierrap615
08-12-2004, 11:32 PM
why was the battery replaced?

the battery should be rated at 550 cold cranking amps or higher.

double check that the bolts are tight. careful when checking the positive side, don't let anything medal(namey a wrench) touch the positive bolt to anything else on the car. bad things will happen.

also possibly a bad alternator. the right way to test it is take to a shop or take it off yourself and have a part store test it(most will for free).
heres the redneck way to test it - let the can run in park, headlights, radio, A/C, everything turned on.if it dies by itself, its the alternater.(it will take a little time, but i doubt more then 30 minutes)if this is the case, you will need to recharge or jump the battery.

dw97sc1
10-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Or check the fuseable link between the starter and the alternator. Could be a broken wire, it happened to me. Just be VERY careful with the stud on the alternator. Use two wrenches to hold the inside nut still when taking the outside nut off of the stud. If the stud twists bye bye alternator.

97BlazerLT
12-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Or check the fuseable link between the starter and the alternator. Could be a broken wire, it happened to me. Just be VERY careful with the stud on the alternator. Use two wrenches to hold the inside nut still when taking the outside nut off of the stud. If the stud twists bye bye alternator.

Check the alternator!!!

96saturn
04-17-2005, 12:56 AM
its most likely your alternator, mine went two days after the light came on so do it soon.

Add your comment to this topic!