does anyone know?

jake9550
08-12-2004, 10:38 AM
Hi i am new to this forum and i have a 1994 jimmy and its in the shop again, due to a fuel pump, the truck wont start and now they are saying that the fuel pump is in but it now needs the whole mechanism that goes with the fuel pump, apparently when it was in the shop before they put a used one in it, so now its costing me like 600$ to get this done, i am a woman, so of course i think they are ripping me off, lol...can anyone offer any advice as to if they have had this problem or not?
thanks alot
michelle

DZNZ
08-12-2004, 11:32 AM
Michelle --

I have seen the failed fuel pump problem on this forum and others like it. I think it is a fairly common problem. I don't know if 600 is high -- cos everything seems to cost a mint with the Jimmy!

dbestnindy
08-12-2004, 04:23 PM
Michelle --

I have seen the failed fuel pump problem on this forum and others like it. I think it is a fairly common problem. I don't know if 600 is high -- cos everything seems to cost a mint with the Jimmy!

You responded to me question with the 96 Jimmy fuel problem. Your fuel pump is not the same as mine but mine pump alone was $250.00 I was told it was my pump but it wasn't. The wire plugging into the pump is dead making it not work. You might check to see if the hot wire is working going to the fuel pump. I am assuming that someone has checked the pump relay and all those cheap fixes? Hope so. I have stumped 3 mechanics and I am not sure what my next step is. There is a problem but no one is sure where. Good luck with yours.
Debbie

narc-007
08-18-2004, 09:23 PM
The best thing to do would be to call around and ask about prices on aftermarket parts. They are generally cheap. Then, take the part, and have your favourite shop put it in. (That way you only pay for labour - which sometimes is more than enough to pay..) Your repair shop is not interested in looking for a good deal on the part - they'll only usually deal with one supplier. The price that supplier charges is the price you pay. If you shop around, for the part on your own, you'll save yourself the headache. (And maybe some money.)

Teaman3
08-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Did you agree to them fitting a second hand pump ?

I assume this is the pump mounted in the fuel tank ?

What other bits are they wanting to fit ?

As far as I know the fuel pump is a complete unit.

On the face of it, I'd say they're taking you for a ride.

They should have tested/repaired all the wiring, connections, relays, pressure switches the first time. If the fuel pump is then proven faulty, a new one should've been fitted, never a used one. Replacing in-tank fuel pumps is a long job, and will cost, so use new.

Three choices:

1 Get legal advice
2 Move the Jimmy to another garage
3 Get the work done with a written report and never go back again

Good luck

Teaman3

vidarflash1
12-08-2004, 09:53 PM
I have a 94 4.3L z that kept getting worse when ya tried to start it ,then finally just quit,had it flatbedded to the mechnic ,went to a discount parts place an got a fuel filter for $ 16. - The mechanic said he thought the fuel pump was going and that the CPI was going and I should have them replaced for about $500 +,gave me a shot of and told me to pick up some starting fluid and I was on my way...drove it around for awhile ,picked up some injector cleaner ,the next morning it started fine,I'm crossing my fingers after reading the forums - that it starts tomarrow morning

Add your comment to this topic!