Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Newbie -- Searching for a '89+ Cressida...

rexer1or
02-04-2002, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone, I'm Brent. While I'm a newbie to this site, I'm not a newbie to automobiles. I started out with the CRX, owned an '86 and a '91 Si, then I progressed to the MR2 ('86 NA), now that I've sold that I'm looking into the Toyota Cressida. I do want to get the MR2 later on, but finances are low right now so I just want a dependable daily driver.

What are your thoughts on the Cressida? I'd really like to get a '89+ because I like the styling the most and I have a budget of $4K. I'm not in too big of a hurry either and I am willing to fly to find the right one as I can do so for cheap.

I would prefer to have a 5 speed Cressida, hence the reason I'm willing to fly. I know 5 speeds are hard to find in the Cressida, but I just love how fun a manual tranny is and the complexities of an auto tranny scare me (I'm a DIY'er). I'll settle for an auto if I have to though. I test drove one and loved everything about it except for fuel economy, but I'd venture to guess there's a way to de-tune the engine for better fuel economy isn't there?

I'm interested in the Cressida because it has RWD and I'm kind of spoiled with that after owning an MR2. It's been labeled the "four door supra", I like that. I think it's nice to have four seats for a change, I'm trying to become more social.

If you guys could help me find one or at least point out some searching resources, I would greatly appreciate it. I've been looking at Ebay and traderonline.com so far. Also, please give me your insights on this wonderful car.

- Brent

Hobbes
02-04-2002, 02:20 PM
Welcome!!!! :cool:
After reading your post, the only thing I can do is give you insights on it.
I have an '86 model (ok, would have soon. I'll explain on the way). One reason I bought it was because we have a large family (I mean, I don't think three tall teenagers will fit in a two door coupe so I'm a sucker for four door sedans). Also when I got it I knew when there was a problem with it I can go to my uncle and he can get it fixed for a very reasonable price (you know what I mean :D ). The car is a real blast to drive from my 2 years of driving experience (I'm only 20).
I can understand about how hard finding a 5 speed is. It's even harder trying to find one in good condition in my area. As for fuel economy, what are you looking for? My car managed 21 mpg even though it had 190,000+ miles on it. A great daily driver it is, but why de-tune the engine? It's alright to me but you can save up a little more money and get a Japanese spec engine like i'm getting. That's only because the org. engine 'gave out the ghost'. Then it will become a 'four door Supra'. I'm still waiting for my uncle to install the engine before I leave. I decided to go to Mayland to spend time with my sisters which means I won't have a car to drive. So that means I'm going to be in the same problem you are at. I can wait. I know I will save up to get another one.

God, that's the first post I've had that was this long. I'll stop for now. Just keep looking, you'll find one to your liking (and if possible, a 5 speed car).

rexer1or
02-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the insight, Hobbes. I don't know, maybe the Cressida isn't right for me, the main thing that attracts me to it is the fact that it has RWD and Toyota dependability. It's real hard to find a RWD car that isn't a rust bucket with four seats for $4k or less, you know? Well, if I decide I don't need four seats, I'll just get another MR2.

I did think about the Corolla, but I think I'm kind of spoiled with RWD and it would eventually irritate me being FWD.

I think the only disadvantage I can find with the Cressida is the fuel economy.

Roni-sei
03-02-2002, 09:47 PM
hey guys I am usually in the honda section but i always loved cressidas my mother has a 88 and it hauls ass. I saw a 91 or 92 today for sale today and was thinking of buying it and doing a major transplant i was thinking of dropping a twin turbo supra engine in first and then go further with intercooler and a sport suspension the guy who is selling it is asking 1800 and is welling to bargain. tell me what u guys think.

Add your comment to this topic!