Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Slow gas filling

dcamry
08-11-2004, 09:40 AM
Our 1998 Camry recently requires us to slowly fill the tank or the nozzle for filling shuts off.
Toyota says it is either the gas canister for the emission system is blocked or the overflow check valve is faulty. They will fix both to solve issue to the tune of about $900.00.

I suspect it is the check valve ($317 to fix) rather than the charchol cannister because through this valve is the overflow line which sends the gas back up to the fill pipe. Currently no gas flows out of this line like it did prior to this problem when I fill it now.

Any comments welcome

smesiano
11-05-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi, I just started having this same problem with my 1998 camry with 111,700 miles on it. There is another post in the Solara catagory. I suspect the overflow tube is clogged also. I'm going to take it to Toyota next week. I'll keep you posted on what they say. Thanks.

tvictor
11-08-2004, 08:13 AM
This is a risk analysis problem for the analytical minded.

If the dealer says he "thinks" it is the cannister or the check valve, then you are wise to have him do the cheapest alternative first (especially with your observation) and not both at the same time. If this fixes the problem, you are ahead $600. If you have him do both at the same time and find that the problem remains, you will be out $900 and will have to spend more.

If you have only the valve replaced and the problem remains, you must then decide if you want the cannister replaced. The risk increases at this point - you may decide the cost isn't worth it ($600 more will buy a lot of gasoline).

Having this diagnosed by the dealer, consider having a private garage give you an estimate for the work. You might find some savings there.

Or consider doing the work yourself. Lots of savings there, except for time.

Or, perhaps, you might put up with the slow gassing up and use the $900 saved toward other things, like buying gas.

smesiano
11-12-2004, 07:46 PM
Went to Toyota dealer and he charged me $92.50 to diagnose problem which is their hourly rate. The bad news is that it is the shut off valves in the gas tank which needs to be replaced with gaskets. Total for the repair is $476 (mostly labor) but he will deduct the $92.50 and give me a loaner. I'm waiting for parts but may go to my corner garage for an estimate but still be out the 92.

phisigbrotha
11-13-2004, 04:26 AM
a toyota dealership that provides a loaner? damn ive never seen that other than at the infiniti dealership i used to work at and other high end dealerships. although $92 an hour sounds high. might be why they are able to provide a loaner.

luther

Add your comment to this topic!