Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86' CJ-7 leaky valvecover

gtmud
08-11-2004, 05:59 AM
My 86' CJ-7 has the 258 I-6, doing allot of work to the engine, and noticed that the plastic valve cover is leaking badly. I saw online that they make an aftermarket metal one for this engine. How much work is into installing this valvecover? Any help, greatly appreciated.

fredjacksonsan
08-11-2004, 10:47 AM
Should be an easy swap. Remove the old one, saving the bolts, prep the block by removing any pieces of old gasket and make sure it's clean/dry. Put the new one on, with gasket, and tighten to specs. (Of course you might have to move some of the stuff that's over the valve cover first)

stangfreak7
08-11-2004, 10:52 AM
Have you still got the engine in the engine bay. If ya do then the only trouble you will have is getting to the back bolt on the cover. Its in a tight location and can be very difficult to get to w/o so experience getting to it. That spot back there from my experience is where you will get most of you leaks if you dont watch it also. Its hard to torque down the bolt back there. When you start working on it you will see what i mean. Now i would also suggest you get spend a little extra money and get a gasket that is preformed out of metal and has rubber seal. It will save you alot of pain in the years to come. The cork gaskets wear out easy and applying them into a tight spot like on a cj can become cumbersome, especially at the back. I believe you can get them from MR. Gasket and people like this. Hope this helps ya.

Add your comment to this topic!