Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

I'm so not car savy.

Kalect325
02-03-2002, 10:16 PM
Now, some may take offense to this question, and may think I'm stupid, but thats ok. Can an Integra Type-R engine be dropped into a 89 Chevy Cavalier z24 2.8L V6 coupe? I want to do it to my car, it would blow some doors, and talk about a sleeper.

I'm not engine smart, and dunno how in all hell to know what is compatible with my car. Help!?

91zc
02-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Is it possible. Yes anything is possible with the right amount of money. Someone put a type-r motor in a lotus elise.:) Whether or not you can find someone competent enough to do the swap is another question. IMO it is not worth it.:)

89ssgti
02-04-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by 91zc
Is it possible. Yes anything is possible with the right amount of money. Someone put a type-r motor in a lotus elise.:) Whether or not you can find someone competent enough to do the swap is another question. IMO it is not worth it.:)
not really compatible,probably not worth the effort and money.
If I were you I'd go for GM engines,good choice going from easy to hard and costly are 3.1(v6),3.4(v6),3.8(v6 or v6 supercharger)
or even a 4.0(v8 from a Cadillac Northstar)

Those would be less costly(well not all of them:D )than a TypeR engine and would give you better results.

Moppie
02-04-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by 91zc
Someone put a type-r motor in a lotus elise.:)

This is a little OT, but I just have to say thats not as hard as it sounds.
The Lotus elise uses the same G/box as the Rover 200coupe, the MG montego, and MGF. Its a Roverised Honda G/box, basicly the Integra Gearbox with differnt ratios and a made in the UK stamp.
This means the Type-R engine will bolt directly to it. (infact some elise owners have converted to the ITR G/box) Making custom mounts to fit the elise is all very easy, and I have a feeling that the Rover K series despite cliams its an all new design is actualy losely based on the Honda B series engines.

OK, droping an ITR engine into your V6 chevy would I think be more work than its worth. It would work out cheaper in the end and far easier to just buy a 2nd hand ITR.
Or an even better option would be to look at the performance modifcations avliable for your car, prehaps Supercharging etc...

Kalect325
02-10-2002, 06:32 PM
How can the swaps you guys mentioned be done, and which is the best idea for maximum power within the lowest budget?

Gasoline Fumes
02-11-2002, 01:25 AM
Since GM's V6 engines are basically small blocks with two cylinders cut off, just put a 350 in it. :D

VTECseoul
02-11-2002, 02:51 AM
dropping the Pontiac Grand Prix's 3.1L V6 turbo 205hp should fit - the GP car alone is worth less than the Integra's B18C5.

Add your comment to this topic!