Buying a J30.....bose stereo is dead, please help me figure out my next move.

appleman10
08-09-2004, 10:58 PM
The lady I am buying the car from says that there is a hairline fracture in the circuit board of the radio which causes it to not turn on...any idea's on what the cheapest way to get this working is? A local repairman, send it over the internet, buy a new one? Any advice would be VERY appriciated..thanks!

Underground_Killah
08-10-2004, 12:52 AM
drop it and buy a sony cdx player... it's cheaper n has more power.

appleman10
08-10-2004, 01:10 AM
awesome...underground, can you instant message me at appleman10?? The thing about buying a non-stock reciever is that I think it looks ugly with the big open gap, would you agree? I can get the reciever fixed for 150$...how big is the power difference?

appleman10
08-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Ive been looking at a larger 4" reciever, this one seems nice and can be baught on ebay for 250$

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-icLnf7Sjui7/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&cc=01&g=52600&id=essential_info&i=020ADB340

can anyone look at the specs and see if it will pop right into my 94 J no questions asked....or will I need to buy something else...anyone know how the rear external audio jack works? Seems like it would be sweet for my ipod....

p.s. This clarion reciever did come up on crutchfield's "what fits in my car" search, can I safely buy one from ebay without crutchfield's install kit and have no problems?

edit: as you can see in this picture http://i10.ebayimg.com/01/a/02/0f/ec/b6_4.JPG these radios dont fit properly and dont exactally look as nice as the original unit...on the other hand, if I can get noticibably better sound quality...it would be worth the investiment....if its not that big a difference, ill just send it in for repair at this site: http://www.johnson-electronic.com/pages/1/index.htm

appleman10
08-11-2004, 08:24 PM
I baught this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32815&item=5713541288&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

250$ for a 400$ reciever....took it to circuit city...90$ install, and I was rockin

Thanks for your help everyone.....NOT

Underground_Killah
08-12-2004, 12:41 PM
my bad for having a life lol...

um... i got a single slot with the storage bay underneath in my car (i'll have pics soon) got it installed for 50 bux at audio unlimited and bought the cd player for 200 at wally world... it's awesome also.. heh.

but hey hope it works out for you.

appleman10
08-12-2004, 04:48 PM
I think the single slot ones arent as nice looking...the stock bose speakers are sweet!

Underground_Killah
08-12-2004, 10:21 PM
really? i think it's better because i can use it for storage and when i get my dvd player for it, i won't have to buy another cd player... my car came without a cd player, so i just transferred that one from my old crown vic to the infiniti... but yea, those speakers ROCK!... you putting a sub in the back too? i got a 12 in mine..

appleman10
08-12-2004, 10:57 PM
The bass is already preety sweet, how difficult is it to add a sub? Do I need to get a whole new amplifier or something...I really dont want to spend too much because im so satisfied with the current sound, but some bass that really shakes the car would be sweet....you know anything more?

P.S. Why are you never on aim?

Underground_Killah
08-12-2004, 11:42 PM
well i'm not at home alot, but i post here as much as possible... you will need another amp and sub... however i may be parting with my 12" powerbass sub and amp... if you are interested in purchasing.. i'll possibly sell.. basically it's only running some cables... but i got mine installed for 50 dollars at audio unlimited.
i'm going to be putting a 15 in mine shortly and i'm putting in a 10 in my girl's tib (shh)

i'll help you with as much as i can on here... sometimes on aim whenever i'm home.

appleman10
08-13-2004, 12:12 AM
Im completally broke now....how much do subs and amps usually cost? How much u plan to spend on ur 15"er? what about the amp?

Underground_Killah
08-13-2004, 12:55 AM
well i put 250 into what i have now... but i'll prolly sell for 125+ shipping for sub and amp...

i'm putting about 400 into the 15 i want with the 1k watt amp (big on audio here)

appleman10
08-13-2004, 01:14 PM
how do you add in the woofer? Do you have to unplug any of the stock speakers...if thats the case im not interested, I would just want it if it adds to the current noise....where do you plug it in? I know my new reciever has an auxiliry output (red and white cables) so perhaps its as easy as using that....how much better was the sound when you first installed your old one?

Underground_Killah
08-13-2004, 02:29 PM
basically the woofer is enclosed in a box, and you don't have to unplug anything to put it in... it adds bass to the current sound of your system and gets power from the amp that is attached to the back of it. I was very pleased when i first installed my system... the sub really adds to the quality of music...

appleman10
08-13-2004, 04:33 PM
where do you plug the sub in?

Add your comment to this topic!