Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Auto to Manual

donkeypunch
08-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Ive been considering jumping into this jeep thing. Im looking at a 2001 Wrangler Sport, and the guy is giving me an offer i cant really turn down. The only problem is that it is a automatic transmission, and im really looking for a manual.
My question is....how expensive and difficult would it be to switch the auto to manual, and if the sport is a good model to choose from......any other details someone might wanna throw in about purchasing this jeep?

stangfreak7
08-10-2004, 12:14 AM
Well switching from an auto to straight gear is rather labor intensive if you plan on doin this yourself. While making the actual trans fit isnt very hard at all, you have to add a third pedal to your floorboard which can be a pain in the a$% if you know what i mean. Just setting up the brackets etc is a pain in such a small space. Then you have to make sure the pedal is aligned properly. After this you can run your clutch assembly up to the pedal, which that part isnt that bad if you have some experiece with cars etc... But like I said it will be a pain to do but can be done if you have some time on your hands and do your homework. I just recently converted an auto 00' mustang gt to a 6 speed. It took me about a week or so to get everything ready and put it in. Hope this help you make your decision. IMO unless you know exactly know what your doing, either stick with the auto or goto a mechanic shop that you trust to do the work.

fredjacksonsan
08-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Not a small or cheap job.....got to cut holes for shifter in the floor (unless you have knockouts) and install all the stuff stang was talking about, as well as buying the new trans/clutch/etc. Don't forget that if the 2 transmissions are different lengths you'll need to do some driveshaft work also. Also, check the spline count on the output shaft of both trannies, they could be different.

Add your comment to this topic!