Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

O the Possibilities

Sleepr awd
08-08-2004, 10:37 PM
What are the Exact differences b/t an FTO and the 2g eclipse? I can pick up a frame pretty easy and cheap, and since the frames are the same do the body panels match right up? Did they make the FTO in Canada at all? it might be easier to travel up there. Til now I had not a clue that Mitsubishi did similar variable timing changes to the vtec found in a lot of hondas and i'm sick of hondas. Mivec 2.0l V6 has what kind of possibilites? is it a really good powerplant and can i boost it without blowing out parts that will cost a fortune to replace? I guess i have a lot of questions and nobody has to answer them but i was looking for the right direction to head, i like the idea of mivec and can't wait to drive a car like that of my own

kinda disgusts me that my 3.0l could be outrun by that 2.0l WHY MITSUBISHI WHYYYYY?!!

kichigaijap
09-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Well basically the FTO is based on the Older Style Eclipse... The reason why it wasnt imported here is that fact that both the cars would be competing with eachother... Dont quote me on this but I think there are a lot of differences between the New Eclipse and the FTO... The biggest difference is the New Eclipse has a Longer wheelbase than the FTO. No Canada didnt have the FTO either sad to say.

Ok the engine is an Awsome engine in itself... The problem with the engine is that the engine is so well tuned that the basic bolt ons would be the only upgrades that could make a big difference. Turboing a Mivec V6 is a big no no... That engine isnt the strongest... People usually use the non Mivec engines because its more turbo friendly but still it has limited possibilities... best bet is leave it non turbo... either that or engine swap it with a turbo engine and drivetrain my 2 cents

Hiroboy
09-14-2004, 05:29 AM
Loads of FTO Mivecs have been turbo'd have a look at this one for starters http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity-Circuit/1515/index_e.html
and this page : http://www.geocities.co.jp/MotorCity-Circuit/1515/tb_spec.html

The FTO is nothing like any Eclipse, it is a model of it's own. :)

--------------------
My Website
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org (http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org)

bustinjustin
09-15-2004, 09:13 AM
If you are really trying to get the fto into the USA like i am there are a few things you need to know before you can get it. For one the FTO is NOT the same frame design as the 2g eclipse. It does however have the same engine mounting locations as the galant VR4 and i heard that it is possible to fit the 6A13TT engine in which is also out of the galant vr4 and it is stock twin turbo. This engine is not to be confused with the 6G72TT which is the twin turbo motor used in the GTO/3000gt VR4.
Secondly there are 2 key elements to importing a car into the USA. First one is the EPA (enviromental Protection agency) They will require the car to pass US standards before it gets off the boat. one way you might be able to combat this problem is either do a conversion over to an evo motor which is simple enough to get to conform to US emmission standards or have the dealer in japan or the UK convert it for you which equals $$$$$. Next step and this is the hardest one. Getting the car past the DOT (Department of Transportation) These are the guys who are ready with a car crusher if they even spot a skyline coming in without the right paperwork. Depending on the year of FTO you have in mind will depend on what this guys want it to confrom with. If the car was manufactured BEFORE Sept. 1st 1996, then it only needs to confrom with DOT standard 208 which is occupant crash saftey. If the car was made AFTER Sept 1st 1996 then it needs to comply with the same standard as the previous one along with DOT standard 214 which is side impact protection. In order for the DOT to ok the car with these standards you MUST have crash test data in the DOT's hand when your car comes off the boat. Some exceptions are allowed but not many and about next to none for the FTO. You might ask about importing it as a "Kit Car". The DOT has their own specifications on what a kit car is and an fto frame, engine, and body panels, being shipped seperatly doesnt count. Now some of the exceptions MIGHT be that the car can be imported but not driven until the neccasary modifications have been made my a licenced person in the US to make the car legal. This is something i havent checked out indepth, that and wether or not installing a custom full roll cage would get the car passed by the DOT. any other questions feel free to ask me man im trying hard just like to to get the FTO into the states

Hiroboy
09-15-2004, 09:19 AM
I have to ask the question why do you want a FTO when you have the Eclipse.
I have know of a guy in Floida with a FTO and a guy in Alaska.
Do you have a law in the US which means a car over 10 years old can be brought in with no regulations being imposed? Like we do in the UK

bustinjustin
09-15-2004, 09:20 AM
no the car would have to be over 25 years old here in the states

bustinjustin
09-15-2004, 09:24 AM
Besides i would much rather have an FTO then the elcipse. I own a 2g eclipse and im bored with it and besides the fact that alot of kids in the states have bought them and thrown cheap bodykits on and now its an everyday thing to see an eclipse roll down the stree with a fart can on it. i dont even look twice at it but an FTO would be different

Sleepr awd
09-19-2004, 03:12 PM
yeah i think i'd prefer an FTO over an eclipse...more cost efficiently though, getting the engine stuff would be easier than the whole car much much much easier i'm just thinking about starting a garage project i've got the room and time once i get to college and the 2g frames are dirt cheap if you know where to look

Add your comment to this topic!