Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ignition switch

salanf1
08-08-2004, 09:14 PM
i have a 97 park avenue not the ultra sometimes when i try to start it it wont turn over then if i let the key go it will usually start after i try it again sometimes it takes 4-5 times before it will crank over i mean engine turning over i hear its most likely the ignition switch i pulled off the black box with the wiring (ignition switch) would this most likely be the problem i also heard it could be the tumbler i have pulled that too i was wondering where the tumler slides in does that need to be replaced ever?and if it does how do i de activate the air bag and pull the steering wheel i have never done 1 with a air bag !!! and how do you access the bolt behind the air bag to pull the wheel ?how do you get the air bag out of the way? any help would be greatley appreciated and if anyone would haPPEN to have a diagram of the steering wheel and ignition switch setup thanks again scott

yogi_123rd
08-09-2004, 07:41 AM
Simular problem at:
Automotive Forums .com > Buick > LeSabre > 1989 Buick LeSabre Cold Start Problem

Jed Rule
08-09-2004, 05:58 PM
Sounds like a pass-key problem. Sometimes the VATS wires at the ignition key lock break or fray due to repeated turning. Yes the air bag and steering wheel must come off. Think carefully before attempting this.

Add your comment to this topic!