door locks

weeelz32
08-08-2004, 09:00 PM
I am having issues with my door locks. Sometimes I cannot turn the key from the outside. At other times the doors won't open from the inside as well. If I bang on the door just below the handle, I can unlock them. I tried spraying WD-40, it opened a stuck back door,but my front doors still give me problems

Speedy_1234
08-12-2004, 01:19 PM
:eek2: Well I have the same problem with a 94 the passanger door it won't open from the outside wih the key well any way what you can do is take of the cover of the door and check if the door movements are stuck or loose also if it look ok it might be the one the open the door since you put w-d40 it does help but once it get dirt in it you better watch out because it get work what you have to buy is a bottle of (well it looks like metal dust) and that is for lock it a special material for lock jam o well if that doesn't help wait to see if others repley

Underground_Killah
08-12-2004, 02:06 PM
no clue, usually wd 40 does it for my 93..

Speedy_1234
08-13-2004, 04:53 PM
Well WD-40 does help but I said when dirt gets in good luck then try to open it

Jasong
09-08-2004, 10:47 AM
I am having issues with my door locks. Sometimes I cannot turn the key from the outside. At other times the doors won't open from the inside as well. If I bang on the door just below the handle, I can unlock them. I tried spraying WD-40, it opened a stuck back door,but my front doors still give me problems

I don't know what year J30 you have but I have a 93 and the locks would not work with the remote. With the key they would sometimes lock and a chattering sound would come from the electric lock actuator. J30s have a reputation for faulty door locks. If this is your problem you need to replace the door latch assemblies on both front doors (part # 80502-89910 & 80503-89910). I bought them from Scottsdale Infiniti (1-888-216-5328). They are $32.50 each. Be sure and buy a half dozen door panel retainer clips (part # 80999-VE000) as they sometimes break when you pry off the door panels. To remove the door panels first remove the 4 screws down at the very bottom of the door panel. The screws have little colored plastic caps over the screw heads. Then on the drivers side use a flathead screwdriver to gently lift the electric window/lock button console from the armrest. There is a screw under there that holds on the door panel. Also gently pry up the rear view mirror adjustment control, there is another screw under there holding on the door panel. Finally using your hands and a flathead screwdriver gently pull out on the door panel starting from the bottom. There are 4 or 5 plastic retainer clips holding the door panel in place. Use a flathead screwdriver to gently pop them out. If they strip or break you can replace them. You'll have to lift up on the door panel as it is hung-over the top up near the window. Once removed you can get to the latch assembly. There are 3 large phillips screws on the end of the door where the latches to the door jamb. Remove them first. You have to pull the clear plastic sheeting loose from the door panel to get access to the inside. Use care doing this and when done you can press it back in place using the old adhesive. There are 3 or 4 bolts holding the actuator/latch in place. Remove them all. Be careful and pay attention to the metal rods that connect the latch/actuator to the handle, key lock and inside lock. They are held in place with little plastic clips that swivel in place. Unclip them and then unplug the actuator power plug from the assembly. Then remove the entire latch/actuator assembly. On mine the electric actuators were fine so I removed them and reinstalled them on the new door latches. After this simply go in reverse, plug-in power plug to actuator/latch assembly then install the 3 large phillips screws to hold latch in place, then reattach metal rods and retainer bolts. Test with key remote to make sure it works, then reattach door panel using new retainer clips if necessary. The passenger side is easier cause the large power window/lock assembly isn't on that side. The driver's side took me about 2 hrs. (cause I had no clue what I was doing) but after I figured it out the passenger's side only took 15 min. Works like new now.

Good luck!

i3a0g
02-12-2005, 04:55 PM
thankx my 93 j30 is having that same problem with locking, the remote doesnt work, the key only works if you turn the key to the lock position first and the pull up on the handle, then you will feel a click, then it locks..........i'll definately look into the lock relays from my local dealer

Add your comment to this topic!