Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 Camry will not start (Cold/Hot)

1999Camry
08-08-2004, 06:31 PM
New to this forum, so please be patient if this has already been addressed. 1999 Toyota Camry won't start. Turned ignition key to "start" and everything seemed fine then the interior lights went out, no cranking sound, etc. I checked the battery, green dot still lit, removed the battery, cleaned both terminals and checked the cables. Other than a little build up along the cable clamps, nothing seemed to indicate any problem. I checked the Battery voltage, it is within the limits, the charge went full immediately after I attached a charger to it.
I reinstalled the battery and the interior lights were much brighter. However, one I turned the key to start, the trouble repeated itself. I tried turning the headlights on and when I did a "clicking" sound and flashing of the seatbelt light took place.
This is the first time I've experienced this sort of problem (starter issue?). Not sure what else I can do.

ishop4less
08-09-2004, 12:09 PM
The battery cable must be tight, if is not tight enough it will do like you discribed. The battery have enough juice to give all other electrical except when it need to crank the engine required a lot of amps. Also when you said the battery that you have check within limit, How much is the voltage reading it? must be over 12Volt, if it is less than 12 battery no goods, it still be a green dot when you see it but not enough juice if it is under 12V.

Brian R.
08-09-2004, 03:05 PM
To check the battery terminals, as you attempt to crank the starter with a fully charged battery, test the voltage between the battery post and the wire connection on the positive and negative terminals separately.

When you attempt to crank the starter, the voltage between the post and the terminal should be 0 Volts, meaning there is no resistance to the connection between them. If there is resistance, there will be a voltage difference and you need to clean the post and connector. You can't actually measure the resistance directly because you can't send enough current through the connection with your ohmmeter. The connection will always look good.

Add your comment to this topic!