Page updated on 10-19-2017

Anyone done the Revell Porsche GT-1 EVO (history channel version)?

Tikiman
08-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Has anyone done this car? I am in the process of making it now and just wondered how other peoples turned out and what they thought about the kit.

Thanks!

labandabonnot
08-08-2004, 05:24 PM
:sly: You could have paste this question on your other thread about this car...:smokin::loser:

:rolleyes:

Tikiman
08-08-2004, 06:13 PM
Thanks. Very useful comment.

krebs128
08-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Thanks. Very useful comment.
haha, i sense sarcasm and pissiness. but to keep this post realevant, no i haven't done this model. but looks nice.

Martbee
08-09-2004, 06:05 AM
It's under my bed... never opened the box but in my "to do" pile... the rear part seem ugly and have no doubt, the GT1 from Tamiya is far better but the price of the Revell got my hooked... this and the fact that Tamiya is a 993 model and the Revell is a 996.
You seem to have 2 different version of it in the decal sheet... the black one and the white one but can't help you more than that. So much to be done before I open this one !!
But if it's in my pile, it's got to be an interresting model to do.

bvia
08-09-2004, 06:21 AM
It's under my bed... never opened the box but in my "to do" pile... the rear part seem ugly and have no doubt, the GT1 from Tamiya is far better but the price of the Revell got my hooked... this and the fact that Tamiya is a 993 model and the Revell is a 996.
You seem to have 2 different version of it in the decal sheet... the black one and the white one but can't help you more than that. So much to be done before I open this one !!
But if it's in my pile, it's got to be an interresting model to do.

I have no idea of what you're talking about (which isn't the first time...'cause I don't know everything I think I do... :evillol: ). The Revell History Channel GT1 is a model (molded by Dragon) of the 1997 Porsche GT1 Evo (Evolution). It is based on the car that ran at the Rolex 24 hours of Daytona. Revell has boxed this in 4 versions so far. Le Mans Mobil One livery, pre-painted body Le Mans Mobil One livery, Champion Porsche livery (as raced in the Rolex 24) and the History Channel version (with decals to do the Le Mans Mobil One version)...There MAY have been a Rohr version...

UT Models also sold their version of the 1997 GT1.

Tamiya created the 1996 Porsche GT1.

The chassis pans are subject to warping (ALL 5 of my kits were that way), and the panel lines are somewhat light, but the decals are good and with some work, you can build a nice kit of it. I've built 3 so far.

As far as I can remember, the cars were not given any other name that GT1 ,...the 993 and 996 cars are/were street cars. (GT2 and GT3 were there competition monikers).

hth,

Eric Cole
08-09-2004, 10:50 AM
I built the History Channel Porsche also and agree with bvia on the issues regarding the kit. Warped Chassis, body was spread too wide, soft panel lines, etc... but the chassis straightened as I glued pieces to it and clamped them in place to dry, the body is flexible enough to pull back in to the correct width and held with CA. The panel lines can be deepend with a panel scriber. Sounds bad but it's really not. It builds into a nice kit...

Here's mine:
http://www.xpphotoalbum.com/data/3705/11081108porside-med.jpg?2602
http://www.xpphotoalbum.com/data/3705/11081108porback-med.jpg?4583

Martbee
08-09-2004, 11:19 AM
I have no idea of what you're talking about (which isn't the first time...'cause I don't know everything I think I do... :evillol: ). The Revell History Channel GT1 is a model (molded by Dragon) of the 1997 Porsche GT1 Evo (Evolution). It is based on the car that ran at the Rolex 24 hours of Daytona. Revell has boxed this in 4 versions so far. Le Mans Mobil One livery, pre-painted body Le Mans Mobil One livery, Champion Porsche livery (as raced in the Rolex 24) and the History Channel version (with decals to do the Le Mans Mobil One version)...There MAY have been a Rohr version...

As far as I can remember, the cars were not given any other name that GT1 ,...the 993 and 996 cars are/were street cars. (GT2 and GT3 were there competition monikers).

hth,

Agree with that... I wrote like a 5 years old boy... :biggrin:
What I was trying to say was the kit Tamiya produced (GT1 1996) have a 993 kind of nose and the other (His channel 1997) remind more the 996 model... of course they are not... but still look like ! I think the kit I have is the last one your taking about... the history channel with his black scheme and as option, the decals to do the mobil one which is a white scheme !!!

I still stand by my point, the Tamiya kit won't compared to the Revell kit... 2 different kit. Very far from each other.

Hope I made myself clearer... but still doubt it !! :sly:

Quite nice to know Dragon molded it though !! Thanks.

bvia
08-10-2004, 01:14 AM
Agree with that... I wrote like a 5 years old boy... :biggrin:
What I was trying to say was the kit Tamiya produced (GT1 1996) have a 993 kind of nose and the other (His channel 1997) remind more the 996 model... of course they are not... but still look like ! I think the kit I have is the last one your taking about... the history channel with his black scheme and as option, the decals to do the mobil one which is a white scheme !!!

I still stand by my point, the Tamiya kit won't compared to the Revell kit... 2 different kit. Very far from each other.

Hope I made myself clearer... but still doubt it !! :sly:

Quite nice to know Dragon molded it though !! Thanks.

Ok. I think I understand. Let's see if I can remember my GT1 history...

The 1996 GT1 used the 911 front end.

The 1997 GT1 Evo used more of a Boxster front end.

The 1998 GT1 was an original design.

The bottom of the page has my collection of 1996-97-98 GT1s. The 97 Evo was built from the History Channel kit.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=241241&page=3

hth,

Martbee
08-10-2004, 05:56 AM
See, I know we can understand each other if I put my mind into it... Exactely what I was trying to explain but even with better words !

And by the way... hoourray for Porsche who got rid of the stupid 996 front facia (or Boxster front end if you like) with their new 997 who remind me more of the 993 which was in my opinion the ULTIMATE design for a Porsche !!!

Add your comment to this topic!