Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 eclipse

nocarsofar
02-03-2002, 03:08 PM
Im turning 16 soon and I was looking at a 1998 eclipse gs, I was wondering how much it would cost in upgrades to put it above the gst model. I have about 2gs to spend on mods and hopefully i'll get this job so I will be able to spend more cash. Also I was wondering if someone could maybe list a few of the best mods to start off with when moding a gs.

Thanks a lot for your time.
-no car so far-:bandit:

jettaIII
02-07-2002, 09:31 PM
To put it at the same level as the GST? A turbo, nicer wheels, nicer body styling, some interior stuff. Say ~$2-3k for the turbo, ~$1k for turbo accessories (new exhaust,intercooler, install, boost gauge, ECU programming, etc), then ~$1500 for some 17's and tires. It'd be better if you could just get a GST or GSX. But insurance would probably be a bitch for those. Try to find like a '96 or '97 GST, and then just put on the front bumper from a '98, then it'll look just like the newer body style. Look around for DSM clubs in your area, ask them for help. Lemme know if I can help ya w/anything.

Andy85
02-08-2002, 10:12 PM
Sorry I forgot my pasword for my other name (nocarsofar) so I am now Andy85. Thanks a lot for your help and the only reason that I would buy the GS and put turbo in it is because they have a very nice GS spyder right by where I live so im going for a test drive tomorrow and hopefully it will run well and i will be able to get it. I also might want to think about replacing the pistons because i read a couple of places where people have really messed up their pistons if they turned the turbo up a lot. Thanks a lot a again.

jettaIII
02-09-2002, 02:41 PM
A turbo'd Spyder would be pretty tight. About the pistons, it's definitely possible, but they'd have to be pretty stupid and have really cranked the boost. The 4G63 engine is extremely strong. But stronger internals are never a bad idea. Have fun, good luck gettin' your car.

THE4TH
03-03-2002, 01:43 AM
i agree find and older one and mod the hell out of it....

Add your comment to this topic!