Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Benefits of NO Mufflers??

solaris=amazing
08-07-2004, 06:34 PM
What if i cut off both my mufflers, and attach straight pipes instead. How loud will it be?? Do i have to cut the pipes all the way to the front of the car? I heard this gives more low end torque-is it noticable?? I would like to have my tbird sounding louder. Do i have to get rid of the cat's??

Ok, i'm basically looking to do this myself, so i kinda want to take the easy way out-and just cleanly cut the mufflers off/then form fit/seal some pipe from there.

emailer33
08-07-2004, 09:31 PM
1. it's illegal. minimum you'll definitely get tickets.

2. your MIL light will be on as the cat's would be gone. you'll have to look into MIL eliminators.

so you know :P

94GreenBeast
08-07-2004, 11:13 PM
well i dont have any mufflers...and no cop has looked at me twice....as long as you have straight pipes they wont be the wiser. But i dont think taking the cats off would be a good idea. I have an h pipe on mine with no mufflers and it sounds real mean. 94 LX 4.6

CamaroSSBoy346
08-07-2004, 11:47 PM
um. uh. It's NOT illlegal. I've done it, and i've seen a whole bunch of other MN12's with out mufflers.

http://www.rankmyride.com/data//4/e/10136//.large/img_0146.jpg
No, its not loud at all. My SS is louder at idle.

emailer33
08-08-2004, 12:54 AM
well i got two buddies that they're tailpipes have rusted off of the muffler, and the cop gave them an emissions ticket for $150. guess it's jsut where i live :P.

MagicRat
08-08-2004, 09:06 AM
well i got two buddies that they're tailpipes have rusted off of the muffler, and the cop gave them an emissions ticket for $150. guess it's jsut where i live :P.
A rusty defective exhaust is a safety issue. Most jurisdictions do not allow an exhaust to end underneath the vehicle. A tail pipe must run all the way to the back or side of the passenger compartment of a vehicle.

thunderbird muscle
08-08-2004, 03:07 PM
It isn't illegal I have straight pipes and Like CamaroSSBoy said alot of other cars out there are a lot louder.

keep the cats!

And you won't gain any torque!

Mike75
08-08-2004, 06:06 PM
First of all, I really don't know about this - so I'm asking...

Doesn't the interior design of the muffler (widening area) help the pull of the exhaust when leaving the cylinder on the fourth stroke of the cycle? What I'm asking is - Wouldn't this cause more work for the engine and actually take away some power? I know that the interior panels of the muffler work to cancel out sound waves as they go back and forth, but I remember being told long ago that the widened area also helps with the pull of exhaust from the cylinder, as well as when it goes through the cats as the hot air tries to expand.

Like I said, I don't know much, but I want to make sure I'm getting everything straight, and this is kind of screwing up my understanding. Thanks!

Bray Hill
08-13-2004, 03:39 AM
No mike, it shouldn't have very much of an effect but the effect will be a slight gain in power. What you are talking about is exaust scavanging(spelling?) which is mostly taken care of by the exaust header and collector. Besides the cats give a widening space and are probably more restrictive then the mufflers.

Now to solaris, just do it as long as you don't have to worry about emissions testing. And if I were going to remove my mufflers, I would cut at the point where the exaust pipe splits of in 2 directions and run a single pipe straight out the back in the middle of the car.

Also if anyone has an idea about getting rid of the cats and O2 sensors without replacing the ECU, let me know.

I'm not worthless, I can alwas be a bad example.

CamaroSSBoy346
08-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Now to solaris, just do it as long as you don't have to worry about emissions testing. And if I were going to remove my mufflers, I would cut at the point where the exaust pipe splits of in 2 directions and run a single pipe straight out the back in the middle of the car.

Holy shit, that might actually work.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/3/web/279000-279999/279045_53_full.jpg

Mike75
08-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Cool Bray, thanks for clearing that up. ;)

flewthecoupe
08-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Not sure what state this comes from:
46.2-1049. Exhaust system in good working order. No person shall drive and no owner of a motor vehicle shall permit or allow the operation of any vehicle on a highway unless it is equipped with an exhaust system of a type installed as standard factory equipment, or comparable to that designed for use on the particular vehicle as standard factory equipment, in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise. An exhaust system shall not be deemed to prevent excessive or unusual noise if it permits the escape of noise in excess of that permitted by the standard factory equipment exhaust system of private passenger motor vehicles or trucks of standard make. The term "exhaust system," as used in this section, means all the parts of a motor vehicle through which the exhaust passes after leaving the engine block. Chambered pipes are not an effective muffling device to prevent excessive or unusual noise. (Code 1950, § 46-305; 1952, c. 455; 1956, c. 651; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-301; 1960, c. 120; 1970, c. 266; 1972, c. 66; 1989, c. 727.)

thunderbird muscle
08-15-2004, 09:33 PM
The cats will keep your exhaust quit enought that cops want bother you if your in GA anyway.

If you get on it around one that might be another issue.

Add your comment to this topic!