Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

HELP!! Blinking Check Engine Light

scooteringa
08-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Hi all,

I have a 2000 with about 60k on it and it runs great! No problems other than the nasty tranny leak that these have. Out of the blue today, my wife was driving the Rodeo and the check engine light came on. After she went around a curve, it started blinking!! Any ideas? I plan to take it to AutoZone on Monday to check the codes.

anthonyn
08-07-2004, 05:06 PM
tighten the gas cap?

scooteringa
08-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Tried that one.. After she stopped it and started it a few minutes later, it did stop blinking. It's just on steady now.

scooteringa
08-08-2004, 07:27 AM
I remember that about 3-6k miles ago, I had changed the plugs to a nice Bosch plug. After reading some posts in this forum, it seems like that is not the best selection for this and I should be using either a NGK or Denso plug for a 2000. Could this be the cause of the fault? AutoZone sells two flavors of the Denso plug: a IRIDIUM PLUG and a PLATINUM PLUG. There is a $7 difference between the two. Which one shoud I use?

Thanks All!!

2eyefishclaw
08-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Blink cel light = misfire only there is no otherr reason for it to flash
not only is BOSH not the best but it is the worst possible plug you could purchase for an Isuzu
Iridium plugs are good but expensive the platinum plugs would be my choice and will perform just as good or better than any of the high dollar plugs on the market

2eyefishclaw
08-08-2004, 08:33 PM
sorry meant to say use the NGK Platinum plug it will work just fine the Denso is about the same thing just more expensive

95.5 Rodeo
08-09-2004, 02:07 AM
I've used Bosch plugs in the past and have had fouling problems with them. Happy to hear good things about the Iridium plugs, I'm about to install them in my Isuzu. I bought NGK Iridium plugs here: www.clubplug.net. They had the best prices around and were quick to ship. No, I don't work for them. ;)

Dale

scooteringa
08-09-2004, 04:59 AM
The great folks at AutoZone popped in the code reader and the problem was multiple cylinder misfire. I remember reading in my search for the truth that the Rodeo will give you all sorts of problems if you use gas that has been cut with water. The first time the light came on was about 10-15 minutes after filling up at a gas station in West Virginia! :icon16:
Moral of the story: Make sure that you have enough in the tank to get you to the border.

The problem went away after running the tank as dry as possible and filling up at my local Chevron in Georgia. I did run some Techron through the system to be on the safe side. The great part is I gathered a huge amount of info through this ordeal about the vehicle and I still plan to swap the plugs and PCV this week and clean the EGR too. I'm sure that it will increase my mileage and get rid of the marbles in the engine too.

Thanks everyone!

Add your comment to this topic!