Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Horn wont work. How do I remove steering wheel cover?

jrwhitten
08-07-2004, 10:01 AM
I am trying to get a car inspection in Virginia and they failed me for no horn. The horn works if I out power to it from the battery. But, when I press the horn on the wheel, the relay doesn't click and the horn wont sound. It feels like the horn switch is collasped and I think I need to take the wheel apart to see what's up behind it. Any ideas on how to do this?

Tom94gaGT
08-07-2004, 11:21 PM
what year is the car? do you have an air bag.

jrwhitten
08-08-2004, 03:57 PM
what year is the car? do you have an air bag.

It is a 2000 with an airbag. A little nervous to try and open.

GASE 95
08-09-2004, 07:56 AM
not sure how to get ur steering wheel cover off but you WILL HAVE TO disconnect ur battery...unless, of course, you want the air bag to take ur head off.
Still be careful even with the battery disconnected tho.

FLOWMSTR'00GA
08-10-2004, 09:48 AM
Hey,
Don't do that yet, believe it or not there is a horn fuse in your engine bay, i think it's #42 or #43 CHECK THAT FIRST!! You might save yourself time and money, you can also trying putting a bigger fuse in there.
Thanks,
Brandon

hchapman76
12-31-2004, 09:58 AM
HEy there I have a 96 grand am and my horn won't work either the place I bought it said the switch inside the steering wheel is bad and needs to be replaced I've had it back there quite a few times for watering leaking in on the driver side and now they say they are going to find a horn button at a salvage yard ! So what I want ot know is if there is anything else I can check or where the horn relay switch is located in this car so I can just hook something up direct. Thanks for any help!

Add your comment to this topic!