Page updated on 10-23-2017

my 1st tamiya model

americanmuscleman
08-06-2004, 03:26 PM
ok i went to the hobby shop today to get paints for my shelby cobra and since it takes so long to get to the store i decided id get a kit since i was there. so i was looking and there were none of the revell models that i wanted to do so i started eying the tamiya 360 modena but the 41 dollar price tag was a little much. so i decided to go a little cheaper and fro $26 i got the tamiya f40 and wow tamiya makes very detailed models. so anyone who has done this kit could they give me some advice or tips on it? also i dont understand the paint things cause some parts say a-1 and i dont see a-1 on the color list. i see x-1? is that what it means? i dont know ill probally use referance pics for it. wow sorry for makign such a long post lol

MPWR
08-06-2004, 04:30 PM
What parts say a-1? (Part #, step #). I've built one and will (hopefully) soon build another one. It's definately one of my favorites. It was stunning for the time it was released, and still holds up very well.

The most annoying thing about the kit is he side windows- there's a flange on the windows that is actually part of the bodywork- should be painted body color, and the seam between the indow and body should be filled. Pain in the @ss. Be very carefull when filling/smoothing not to damage the windows.

Any other specific questions, just ask. Good luck and be sure to post pics!

pettercardoso
08-06-2004, 07:07 PM
I also did this car. In fact, it was my very first model. I would say that the cowl fitting is just terrible, but with some work you can get there :D
Apart from those 2 issues (cowl and windows), I think it is a very nice kit, although I would not recomend it to newbies (like myself). With some extra effort you can get a highly detailed model.
a-1 could just be a typo (spelling?) or the part code: a-1=tree "a", part #1

my F40: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=151854

hirofkd
08-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Tamiya kit includes English instruction, did you read it "thoroughly?" Anyway, X## inducates the paint reference numbers, and the instruction should have a table for it. Usually, it calls for Tamiya Enamel paints, but it's not commonly available outside Japan, so you need go by the name of color. TS## means Tamiya Spray, which should be available worldwide.

Recently, I've noticed that the mold of the F40 kit is wearing out, and the parts may not fit as good as they used to be when the mold was still new. Make sure to dry fit the cowl and do necessary adjustments. Also, check the side louvers on the engine cowl. The mold for those areas may be damaged, and you'll need to fix it with putty.

americanmuscleman
08-06-2004, 10:46 PM
thanks for the tips guys. i found out what the numbers mean. duh! i wasent reading them right :biggrin: also on my shelby cobra i sprayed it tamiya mica blue and i LOVE this color

Add your comment to this topic!