Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'89 probe GT transmission?/CV joint? noise(manual)

EAGLESFAN
08-06-2004, 09:05 AM
On the driver side of the car there is a grinding/somewhat clicking noise that can be heard comming from the transmission or possibly the CV joint. The noise is more profound while making left turns. I've read that this may be that the side differential gears are out of place or the CV joint is worn or damaged. The catch is that I just replaced the transmission(rebuilt) and the CV joint with the axle just recently. So both parts are supposedly new although the side differential gears may have slid out of place during installation. This is doubtful because the car ran fine w/out any noise for the first 100 miles after the tranny and CV joints were replaced. I was just wondering if there is any way to deterimine what exactly the problem is without tearing the whole car apart again. I may just have to have a mechanic look at the car, but I am in the process of trying to find a mechanic I can trust and actually knows what he is doing. I thank whomever can give me any suggestions.

EAGLESFAN
08-06-2004, 09:34 AM
And another detail is that with this rebuilt tranny I am now having trouble shifting into first gear while the engine is running. The Hydraulic master cylinder and slave cylinder have been replaced but didnt solve the problem. I'm guessing the problem lies inside the tranny with the pressure plate not being torqued correctly when installed. My brother and I were working on the car together and he installed the pressure plate and seems to think he may have messed up with the torques - or he may not have, he just isn't sure. Is there anything else that may be causing this problem. All the other gears shift fine cept reverse can be a bugger sometimes.

EAGLESFAN
08-16-2004, 03:24 PM
Turned out to be wheel hub bearings were shot. Mechanic had to repair due to a press involved in installing new bearings.

perna00
08-25-2004, 09:05 PM
for the tranny problem, i've blown through 3 trannys w/ my old probe and they all had problems going into 1st right before the syncronizers gave blowing a fist sized hole through the tranny housing. good luck

Add your comment to this topic!