Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

car inquiry

nostalga lover
08-06-2004, 08:15 AM
I would like to know is there any totally British manufactured car being made at present.By that I mean a car with at least a British made engine and body.What about the lotus,morgan,noble, aston martin maclaren and jaguar.I know jaguar is owned by Ford which is an american company although it is manufactured in Britain.I would also like to know that if there is such a car is it owned by a British company.

MagicRat
08-07-2004, 11:15 AM
I would like to know is there any totally British manufactured car being made at present.By that I mean a car with at least a British made engine and body.What about the lotus,morgan,noble, aston martin maclaren and jaguar.I know jaguar is owned by Ford which is an american company although it is manufactured in Britain.I would also like to know that if there is such a car is it owned by a British company.

The remaining all-British car companies, at least in terms of ownership are AC, TVR and Morgan, as far as I know.

Aston Martin is ownerd by Ford, and many of their parts and platforms are used in other Ford owned products.

Maclaren is more of an engineering company, not a commercial auto manufacturer. (The same goes for Ferrari; they engineer race and production cars, as well as engineering consulting, but the manufacture of actual production Ferrari cars is done entirely by Fiat, their parent company).
Lotus is foreign owned, last I heard, and I know nothing of Noble, except for his land speed record car.

It would be a worthwhile thread about how forces in Britian managed to utterly destroy a successful domestic auto manufacturing industry in 25 years.

nostalga lover
08-10-2004, 06:19 AM
What does AC and TVR stand for.As regards the Noble car I saw a new one in one of the airports in London a year or two ago.It was up on a stand on display inside the arrivals area.Tickets were on sale for it as part of some fundraising venture.I dont think it is a production car.Anyway I thought it looked really good.

Reed
08-10-2004, 07:54 PM
noble builds the m12gto and the m400 they are based out of australia but sell most of their cars in the UK

Add your comment to this topic!