'01 Silverado headlight issue

azsilverado
08-06-2004, 01:08 AM
Hi all, this is my first entry.
I have recently bought an 01 Silverado with 36k miles from a local farmer who used it for a farm truck, it was filthy, an inch of dirt awaited me under the floor mat. (This is relevant). Since I have owned the truck, the headlights have been acting goofy. Sometimes when I start the truck, the headlights and dash lights are on while the headlight switch is off. Other times, at random, the daytime running lights are on with the headlight switch off, as it should be. When the runners are on, the switch will activate the headlights and all is well. When the headlights are on, switch off, turning the switch on does nothing, as the lights are already on.
I took out the headlight switch module and broke it down, to clean all of the parts. I ordered a new/used module from EBay also, not yet installed. It does work better , the dimmer works now, but the headlight problem remains. I have consulted my Hayes manual to no avail, I cannot find the body control module it lists as a component the headlights are connected to, that might be full of dirt and malfunctioning, or it may be the light sensor on the dash that is supposed to activate the headlights outomatically when it gets dark, also wired to the BCM according to Hayes.
Here are my questions;
1) any suggestions on what the heck my problem (with the truck) might be.
2) where is the BCM located so I can try and trouble shoot that.
thank you for any responses.
Jeff W

NWChevyGuy
08-07-2004, 01:49 PM
1) Sounds like they are working the exact way they are suppost to. The only thing is if they are turning on by themselves during the day, your light sensor might need to be replaced.
2) The BCM is circuit boards. No dirt should be able to get to them. If you tamper with it, you will destroy it.

Just try the light sensor if they are on during the day... or press your dome override switch 3 or 4 times real fast to disable the automatic headlight feature.

azsilverado
08-08-2004, 06:39 PM
That is what I thought about the light sensor. My override button is not working, that's why I got a new module, still not delivered. Thanks for the info about the BCM. I'll stop looking for it. I appreciate the response, nice truck by the way.

jeverett
08-09-2004, 07:52 AM
I can tell you how to disable your automatic lights for good...you have to cut 2 wires leading into the BCM and splice in a resistor.. I did that on my 99

pavelow_356
08-18-2004, 06:55 PM
I can tell you how to disable your automatic lights for good...you have to cut 2 wires leading into the BCM and splice in a resistor.. I did that on my 99
where is the bcm and what wires do you cut to put the resistor in?i got a 2000 2500 and the dome button dont turn them off.so im trying to get rid of the auto for good.And are the wires leading to the sensor the ones your talking about?

jeverett
08-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Yes, it is the wires that lead to the sensor. But you have to put a resistor in between them or they will stay on all the time. The BCM is under the dash, below the steering wheel. it has 3 plugs I think. Anyhow..give me your e-mail addy and I'll send you the instructions. They're kinda long, so I don't wanna post them unless everyone needs them .

Add your comment to this topic!