Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Ram 50 smoking ???

butterfingers
08-05-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey guys I need a little help. I have an 89 ram 50 with a lot of miles on it, 217,000 to be exact. The truck has started to smoke blue at idle. Now I know it could just be because the valves and rings are worn out but heres the reasons it seems kinda wierd. 1) It doesnt smoke exept for when its at idle. 2) The smoking seems to come and go 3) Moist mornings cause the worst smoke 4) The pcv valve rattles but not very well, then you spray some carb cleaner through it and it will rattle like a baby toy. This seems to help stop smoking until it stops rattling well. and...... 5) it never used to do it until my catalytic converter clogged up and I gutted it out and shortly after that I swithced to shell oil where I noticed the smoking. So recently I switched back to havoline and put in 10w-40 with a can of restore, but I still get some smoke. Regardless the truck runs great, starts great, and goes good. Any ideas anyone???

butterfingers
08-06-2004, 11:17 AM
o yeah a couple more things, it doesnt smoke when it starts or is cold, but starts to smoke when it gets up to temp. Please help!!

butterfingers
08-08-2004, 04:41 PM
Anyone got any ideas??????????????????? I know someone must know something

LTJGWorth
08-08-2004, 04:59 PM
My 1992 GMC safari blows a little blue smoke when I first start it up and it idles, but after it's warmed up the smoke is gone. I was told it was nothing. I don't know how much your truck is smoking so I can't really tell you. Most smoke like that is cause by burning oil. Which is cause by bad rings (usually).

butterfingers
08-09-2004, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the help? the wierd thing about my truck is that it doesnt smoke until it gets warmed up. You would think when it warms up parts would expand and not burn oil?????????????? Anyone got anymore ideas

fredjacksonsan
08-11-2004, 10:27 AM
You may have some sort of leak in the crankcase, and it doesn't start belching until it's warm. With 217K on it, I'd just check the oil frequently and drive 'er.

butterfingers
08-13-2004, 02:00 PM
thanks for the help guys. Just out of curiosity what sort of leak would it be? Where is it leaking to? Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!