Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

E-brake handle... Can I use.... to cut/take it off????

SilverY2KCivic
02-02-2002, 06:51 PM
I just bought a polished/carbon fiber E-brake handle today, and was wondering if I could go about using a rotery tool and the cutting disc attachment to cut off the stock handle (knowing it has to be cut off to remove it)? Also, do I cut the handle the length of it, or do I cut it at the base of it where it meets the vinyl boot for the handle? Thanks! And also, what exactly does the base of the new handle screw onto? Part of the plastic base from the stock one?

xivera
02-02-2002, 10:32 PM
Sure you can use a dremel/rotary tool. Just don't cut to deep. An inch is more than enough! You will have to cut the whole length.
When you have the handle off, you will see a metal shaft (2 pieces grasping each other). This shaft is what the [hex] screws will grab hold of...
This is how it will all end up...
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v2/2/81/42/30128142jXtQJlfdFj_ph.jpg

SilverY2KCivic
02-02-2002, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the reply, ok so if we are on the same idea, I'm going to be cutting the stock handle from the tip where you press the button, all the way to where the handle meets the boot, right? If so, I'll give it a try tomorrow first thing, and if that's not what you meant, then lemme know. :)

And BTW, the pic didn't display, and trying to laod it manually it said that access to the pic if forbidden. :(

SilverY2KCivic
02-03-2002, 05:44 PM
WTH? Ok, I got the stock handle off (Dremel tools ROCK! ;) ), took only like 10 minutes. Anyways, once cut, I slid it off (I'm almost wondering I could have slid it off WITHOUT even cutting it), and when I went to put the polished/CF handle that I got to replace it with, on, the damn thing won't fit, because apparently the metal shaft that is under the stock handle, has a lip that hangs down under it, where the 2 metal pieces that make up the shaft, meet together, so they hang down about a millimeter or 2 lower than is able to clear the diameter of the handle cut out. :mad: Should I take this handle back and get another brand, or is there a way I can make it fit? What gives, how did any of you all get your aftermarket e-brake handles to fit onto where the stock one was? :confused:

xivera
02-03-2002, 09:09 PM
Yeah... Like I said before, I just took a vice grip to my ebrake handle... twisted it a little and slid it right off. Muy sencillo...
Anyway... so you have noticed that " \" on the underside of the shaft...
Even my Tenzo R handle (w/ a notch/indent) has a slight problem w/ that but, not so much as those handles that are just a straight cut. If you really like your handle, maybe you can cut a small notch into it to accomodate that thingie and polish it also w/ your dremel. (I wish I had one!)

Oh, to see the pic I posted, just click on my homepage thingie. And, look for my handle(s) in my interior pix...

SilverY2KCivic
02-03-2002, 10:15 PM
Hmm, cool then. Thanks for the reply, yo. :)

How did you get your new handle to slide on then, if you said yours didn't fit so right, either?

I was thinking I could either notch the new handle somehow (not sure how I'd go about doing that) or I could slim/polish down the "|" lip thing sticking down, or what I was thinking when you mentioned vise grips above, is since it's cheap metal anyways, maybe I could use grips to bend the lip into itself? Hmm... Any ideas on that?

ACCORDLVR
02-03-2002, 11:49 PM
get a metal file or a small rotary sanding unit and file down that lip. your talking about the piece on the underside of the lever right? kind of has two edges pressed against each other? just file it down. by hand it's a job as it's roughly 1/4", but with an electric unit it's about a two minute gig.:bloated:

SilverY2KCivic
02-04-2002, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by ACCORDLVR
get a metal file or a small rotary sanding unit and file down that lip. your talking about the piece on the underside of the lever right? kind of has two edges pressed against each other? just file it down. by hand it's a job as it's roughly 1/4", but with an electric unit it's about a two minute gig.:bloated:

That's EXACTLY the piece I'm talking about :) Hmm, now I gotta figure out which accessory piece from my Dremel to use to file it down with. Sparks scare me, I hate doing metal work :bloated: LOL, j/k! So you wouldn't recommend that I just try to bend it back with vise grips?

90CRXZCSi
02-04-2002, 12:24 AM
i got my e-brake handle off by twisting it by hand.:rolleyes: LOL :D

Add your comment to this topic!