Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Dodge Ram Brake lights

incognito41
08-04-2004, 01:51 PM
Hello all,

I drive a 98 dodge ram 1500 2dr, V6. It has about 93K miles and I recently starting have problems with by dashboard lights. My brake and ABS lights are on permanently now. and my spedometer doesn't work below 15mph. When I accelerate from a stop the spedometer doesn't move until it suddenly jumps up at about 15 or 16mph and then works just fine from there. as soon as i slow down to about that same speed or lower the needle drops down to zero even though i'm still moving. At first I thought it might be my brakes since my brake lights are coming on. I bled the brakes replace my rear brakes and the cylinders and the lights are still on. I've had the battery and the alternator tested and they're both fine. I'm think that it might be one of the sensors for the spedometer. I've been told that they cause funny problems like that. Does anyone have any idea of what might be causing this. thanks for the help.

BleedDodge
08-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Since you did the brakes, they're fine now, nothing to worry about in that respect. The ABS system is likely the culprit, that whole system is comprised of sensors. If it bothers you that much, take it to a dealer and get them to fix it. The ABS went on my truck the first year I owned it, and I don't even care. The truck brakes just like our old truck used to. I hate ABS, it makes clicking noises and stuff when it's slippery and everything, it's no good to me. It can easily be fixed, but it's going to cost you.

That speedometer problem is probably being caused by exactly what you said, one of the sensors for the speedometer.

The 2 problems aren't related. Ask yourself this: Is it really worth it to have the speedo fixed when it works above 15 mph? How often do you need to know exactly how fast you're going at that rate of speed? It's just something that's designed to break so you can go to a dealer and spend hundreds of dollars on it to fix it. I wouldn't see that as a real problem, but it's your truck and if you want it fixed, you're gonna probably end up throwing new sensors at it...

write off
08-04-2004, 06:01 PM
I had the same thing going on with my truck a couple of months ago. I had to change the speed sensor on top of the rear end and that cleared up everything. I think you need a 10 or 13mm wrench to take the nut or bolt off then just grab the sensor and twist and pull at the same time. Mine didnt look like anything was wrong with it but putting a new one in did the trick 100%.

sbocman
08-31-2004, 07:10 PM
Its the rear speed sensor on top of the differential, the part is 50 bucks at a dealership. There are no aftermarcket sensors, I just replaced one this week and fixed all my lights.

jeself
09-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Its the rear speed sensor on top of the differential, the part is 50 bucks at a dealership. There are no aftermarcket sensors, I just replaced one this week and fixed all my lights.
I have almost the same problem. My ABS Light and Brake Light are on and my speedometer doesn't work at all! The Chilton book doesn't help with this at all, but the forum "ABS/speedometer/brakelight" describes exactly this.

Add your comment to this topic!