Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help with"Service Engine soon" light

Minu
08-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Hi! I am driving a 98 Nissan Altima with just 53000 miles. For a week or so my "Service Engine Soon" light stays on. I scanned the car for problems and it gave me a code (Something p14...which i dont remember) but i do remember it said near the code like this "Auxillary Emissions Controls". I have no idead what that means. I will really appreciate if anyone in this forum can help me with the problem. How can i check it and how will the "Engine service soon" light disappear.
Thanks. :disappoin
Minu

celteck
08-10-2004, 09:49 AM
We have a 2001 Altima, and the same light came on - we are in California and in order to get our car registered, it has to be "smogged". As we found out, it will automatically fail if the "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" lights are on, so we took it to get it serviced/checked. The result was a similar code to what you said, (I'm not sure exactly what it was), but it turned out we have to replace the catalytic converter before the "Service.." light will go off.

Our car has more miles than yours, but since it was the same type of code put out by the computer, it may be the same problem - and be prepared to get choked up by the cost of the catalytic converter. Evidently it is only available by OEM, no generics, and a dealership will charge about a third more than other mechanics - our quote ended up around $630 or so (the dealership was gonna charge us about $850).

Good luck - and I'd like to know if it turns out to be the cat. converter, or something else....keep us posted!

Cheers,

linda & chris
sacto, ca

Minu
08-10-2004, 02:23 PM
We have a 2001 Altima, and the same light came on - we are in California and in order to get our car registered, it has to be "smogged". As we found out, it will automatically fail if the "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" lights are on, so we took it to get it serviced/checked. The result was a similar code to what you said, (I'm not sure exactly what it was), but it turned out we have to replace the catalytic converter before the "Service.." light will go off.

Our car has more miles than yours, but since it was the same type of code put out by the computer, it may be the same problem - and be prepared to get choked up by the cost of the catalytic converter. Evidently it is only available by OEM, no generics, and a dealership will charge about a third more than other mechanics - our quote ended up around $630 or so (the dealership was gonna charge us about $850).

Good luck - and I'd like to know if it turns out to be the cat. converter, or something else....keep us posted!

Cheers,

linda & chris
sacto, ca

Hi Linda and Chris
Thanks for replying my message. I had a hunch that it would be catalytic converter, but was not sure. I went to the dealer and they asked for 80 bucks just to run a computer scan to find out the problem. I borrowed the machine form Auto Advance parts just for free and did it myself. I dont know how much the dealer will ask for it. Will let u know for sure of my progress. But do i need to change the converter immediately? Will it cause other kind of mechanical problems if not changed immediately? Did your engine light turned off after changing the converter?. These are the questions i will really like to know. If you have some knowledge of these things, i will appreciate if you share them with me.
Rest take care and have a great day.
Impatiently waiting for your response.
Thanks
Manzoor

celteck
08-17-2004, 11:41 PM
We were told that the catalytic converter will not hurt anything if you wait to replace it, but here in California, it will need to be replaced before we can pass the Smog inspection. We were quoted a price of around $635 or so, with about $420 for the part (which they have to get OEM, no generics or anything) and the rest for installation.

We are having to put off getting that done too, and have had no problems at all with how the car is running - still sounds great, gets decent mileage, and though the Service Engine Soon light is still on, it will help remind us that we need to get that taken care of soon. Wait, is that what they had in mind when they included those dash messages??! (Just kidding).

Sorry it took so long to post a reply... hope it helps!

Linda
(celteck)

Minu
08-18-2004, 08:58 AM
Hi Linda
Hope you are doing great. Your information helps a lot and gives me some relief that i dont have to rush and change the catalytic converter immediately. Since there are no smog inspections in here, means i can get away for sometime before the winter starts. Right? :lol2: ...Other than that my car runs fine and is in great shape. :sunglasse ....
If you have some more info or will get some from others, i will really appreciate if you share that inforamtion.
Rest,have a wonderful and blessed day! :)

With Best Regards
Minu :smokin:

123cars
09-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Failure of the Canister Vent Control Valve can cause the check engine light to illuminate. The cost to repair the Canister Vent Control Valve is estimated at $59.93 for parts and $52.00 for labor.

Add your comment to this topic!