Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Fuel Pump problem

dhspring
08-04-2004, 10:07 AM
My fuel pump went out at 56,000 miles and now at 60,000 miles the same thing seems to be happening, which is that the engine seems starved for fuel. It doesn't die, but it's hard to start at times. The fuel filter has been changes and pressure test on the fuel pump tell us the check valve is functioning. Has anyone seen this type of problem with their Yukon?

badlanz
08-05-2004, 03:25 PM
I've heard the fuel pumps go out sooner than they should, but when fixed, problem solved. Not sure what to tell you. What it cost to replace the pump may I ask? I'm waiting for that big moment.....pulling a boat, heading on vacation and then stalled engine, vacation over. Maybe should have it replaced before it does happen.

dhspring
08-05-2004, 04:11 PM
I actually posted this for my friend who owns the Yukon, but I think it's around 7-$800 to replace about any fuel pump where the tank has to be dropped. It's pretty steep. A preventative replacement wouldn't be a bad idea since it'll probably have to be done sooner or later, and you certainly don't want to have to do it while on vacation or long trip.

badlanz
08-05-2004, 04:57 PM
That's steep. I know it is very expensive. Thx

GMCTech
08-06-2004, 11:29 AM
If the repair was done by a GM dealership, the parts and labor are covered under warranty, as long as you used GM parts and it hasn't been a year.

GM carries a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on all standard GM parts, and the labor to replace.

Just a quick question- how often do you let your tank get below 1/4? The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank, and below 1/4 tank or so is also below the pump.

Hope this helps.

slacker_53
08-06-2004, 03:29 PM
How 'bout the fuel pressure regulator?? Just a thought, always start with the simple things first.

-slacker :smokin:

davidhi
01-31-2005, 05:04 PM
If the repair was done by a GM dealership, the parts and labor are covered under warranty, as long as you used GM parts and it hasn't been a year.

GM carries a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on all standard GM parts, and the labor to replace.

Just a quick question- how often do you let your tank get below 1/4? The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank, and below 1/4 tank or so is also below the pump.

Hope this helps.

.....actually, the fuel pump if replaced by GMC is covered for the life of the car. One of about 20 items which have a lifetime warranty. Why wouldnt GMC just warranty the part for life to start with??? I had the good fortune looking at a $750 repair bill. I called GMC corporate, complained and got a 50/50 split with dealer...was worth the call!!

84fiero123
02-02-2005, 01:55 PM
to be honest with you guys the pump is only $40.oo at napa for my 94 suburban and only takes about 2 hours on the outside to replace, even for a back yard mechanic you don't even need to jack the truck up. and gmtech is right dont run the tank below 1/4 to often or it wont mater if you replace it. good advise for any fuel injected car.

Add your comment to this topic!