Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Racing Harness??

CRXSICO
08-03-2004, 11:58 PM
I have a 88 honda crx si with Tezno racing seats. I want to by a 4 point harness, but i dont know where i can secure. I was told you just put it through the holes in the seat an the harness is secured by the seat its self, i'm not sure about that. I dont understand how the harness secures you in your seat if its secured by the seat. I dont have a roll cage nor do i plan on installing one. i know you can secure them to rollbar. Anybody have any suggestions or know of any products for my care that i can secure the harness two. I've gotten two suggestions so far, one was to secure the harness to a rear upper strut bar, the other was to purchase a rear lower support bar from Arospeed which installs in the floor of the car and secure the harness to that. Somebody help me please!!

Ricochet
08-04-2004, 11:37 PM
The harness (depending on brand) will come with clips at the end of each belt, with bolts on them. These bolts fit perfectly into two pre-threaded holes under my rear seat, but I have a 00 hatch. Check around and maybe you'll get lucky like I did.

civickiller
08-06-2004, 03:56 AM
if you bolt it to the seat bolts its not actually held by the seat itself, but by the bolt mounting the seat. so as long as that bolt doesnt come out your harness should be kept in place to hold you in tight

GWInquisitor14
08-08-2004, 01:30 AM
try a different forum, this is for technical engine shit

Ricochet
08-08-2004, 01:40 AM
man, shut up.

djdxm
08-17-2004, 04:13 PM
I have a 88 honda crx si with Tezno racing seats. I want to by a 4 point harness, but i dont know where i can secure. I was told you just put it through the holes in the seat an the harness is secured by the seat its self, i'm not sure about that. I dont understand how the harness secures you in your seat if its secured by the seat. I dont have a roll cage nor do i plan on installing one. i know you can secure them to rollbar. Anybody have any suggestions or know of any products for my care that i can secure the harness two. I've gotten two suggestions so far, one was to secure the harness to a rear upper strut bar, the other was to purchase a rear lower support bar from Arospeed which installs in the floor of the car and secure the harness to that. Somebody help me please!!

Its not suggested to use a harness without a cage for safety factor. You are supose to mount the harness in the back on a cage, where it is about shoulder height. if you mount it on the floor or on the seat, it is below your shoulder. If you get in a wreck (hopefully doesnt happen anyway) but having the straps going below your shoulders, when your body is forced forward (collision) the straps will exert alot of stress and crush you down towards the floor (can cause injury). If you really want to use a harness safely, its recommended using a roll bar, or like the sparco harness bar.

http://www.sparcousa.com/harness_bars.asp

just a thought.

Jay

SilverY2KCivic
08-17-2004, 05:33 PM
try a different forum, this is for technical engine shit

Really? read again, it's for "in-depth motor heads..." meaning more technically advanced people or questions, NOT the head you put ON a motor. :rolleyes:

jcrx
08-18-2004, 06:30 AM
Harness are a hot debate topic over on H-T. Someone don't care about the safety, some are religious about it. According to some the rear straps need to be no more or less than 10 degrees above or below the shoulders, even though Schroths are installed in BMW as a dealer option at the rear lapbelt positions. And others say that you shouldn't even use them without a roll cage period since your body will have no where to go if the roof caves in.

IMO leave the tree point OEM unit, it's plenty safe and designed for he car. If you want something to hold you in for spirited driving get some harness and run the rear anchors to the upper mounting point for the rear seat belts.

It has been my exeriance that a harness installed to manufacturers specs, is better in a real collision than OEM, and from what I have seen the roll cage harness bar are only situationally more safe, and if not wearing a helmet can cause more injury than they prevent.

Kven
08-18-2004, 10:07 AM
if you dont want to buy a cage try to fabricate a b-pillar bar and you should be able to strap it correctly.

Add your comment to this topic!