Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tips Not To Get Your **** Stolen

flsurf420
08-03-2004, 11:28 PM
What are some good tips not to get your shit stolen? I mean I'm not scared to crack a bat over someones head for stealing my stuff. But I just want to know how other people can stop from getting robbed.

kenwood guy
08-03-2004, 11:33 PM
lock your car

sr20de4evr
08-03-2004, 11:51 PM
take the faceplate off every time you leave your car for more than a couple hours, never turn it up anywhere near where you park (home, school, work, etc), don't tell people about your system except for people you know and trust, hide your wires and anything else that you can, get an alarm

JC80
08-04-2004, 01:44 AM
buy one of those fake radioshack security stickers

Cro
08-04-2004, 01:46 AM
weld everything to the frame

Moppie
08-04-2004, 01:51 AM
BIG BOLTS!!!!!!!

Every head unit Iv ever seen has a threaded hole in the back, and come with a bolt that fits it, usualy its double ended, and comes with an 8mm nut as well.

Its not hard to build a steel bracked out of aluminum strip, or some tin, or what ever you have and use it to bolt your stereo into your car.

Of course if anyone wants it bad enough they will find away to get it out, but it will stop anyone who only has time for a smash and grab.

sr20de4evr
08-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Every head unit Iv ever seen has a threaded hole in the back, and come with a bolt that fits it, usualy its double ended, and comes with an 8mm nut as well.

I've been through 4 headunits and I've never seen that...

highteknology
08-04-2004, 08:25 AM
i think the older head units had those holes, but my new alpine doesn't. but i would say the best way to protect is your car is to hire a homeless for a beer an hour and give him a gun and to shoot anyone that tries to break in. hehehe

Haibane
08-04-2004, 08:44 AM
turn your music down when you get to where you are 5 minutes from parking

Jet-Lee
08-04-2004, 10:20 AM
everywhere I go is 5 minutes from where I park. Use plumbers tape (that metal strip stuff) and strap your boxes down. Make sure EVERYTHING is secured AND hidden. This can stop them from being taken, but not damaged. My bro had 3 Cerwin Vega - Vega 12's in his truck, secured, and since the person couldn't get ANYTHING out, he smashed the subs and stuck a piece of metal into the cd player. Couldn't find the amps (bolted to the bottom of the seat, so when you looked under you couldn't see them). This was his second stereo system, his first was stolen completely.

flsurf420
08-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Good Suggestions, What if ur stuff is in a trunk, how can they get it then? U cant pop the truck unless the car is on so what do they do pick it? I doubt anyone at school can pick locks. Good ideas keep em coming.

highteknology
08-04-2004, 11:03 AM
i think the best way would be to ty and make the entire interior look stock. put nice aftermarket speakers behind factory grilles. definately take the face plate off whenever u leave your car. as far as woofers and stuff, i would think if they are in a custom enclose that fits in with your car then it would be harder to steal.

Jet-Lee
08-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Good Suggestions, What if ur stuff is in a trunk, how can they get it then? U cant pop the truck unless the car is on so what do they do pick it? I doubt anyone at school can pick locks. Good ideas keep em coming.
In a lot of cars, the back seat flips down, just pull everything out that way. I don't know many cars where the key has to be on to pop the trunk. Oldsmobiles - yes, haven't heard of anything else though.

flsurf420
08-04-2004, 04:05 PM
1991 cadillac deville

HighRev87
08-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Here is a good tip: 5% Limo Tint. They wont see inside, and there not going to risk the smash without knowing what to grab.

sr20de4evr
08-04-2004, 08:46 PM

most cars they can break into the front part, and then there's either a switch to pop the trunk or latches to lay down the rear seats. In my car the only way to lay down the rear seats is from inside the trunk, and there's a little switch in the trunk that disables the trunk release. So on my car, the only way to get into the trunk is with the jaws of life or with the key.

empathydude
08-05-2004, 01:56 AM
or heres an idea, buy cheap stuff(sony subs, apex cd player, blaupunkt speakers, wall mart brand wiring, etc...) so when someone steals it they are more pissed off cuz your stuff sucks and they end up giving it back to you and kicking your ass instead...

mx6rrr
08-05-2004, 02:26 AM
screw down box and reinstall subs into box-use alot of different types of screws-phillips, standard, torx, elen....mount amp to back of seat or to something other than box, try to make it so it takes a long time to remove stuff...pull out your dash kit for your radio and screw the metal can around radio into radio so the radio cant be pulled out as easily...keep in mind all this makes it harder for you to replace/service if you have to and if it was profesionally installed, may void warranty so check with them....good luck.

HighRev87
08-05-2004, 10:32 AM
or heres an idea, buy cheap stuff(sony subs, apex cd player, blaupunkt speakers, wall mart brand wiring, etc...) so when someone steals it they are more pissed off cuz your stuff sucks and they end up giving it back to you and kicking your ass instead...
lol?

flsurf420
08-05-2004, 01:41 PM
yea but about the limo tint, would it be worth the tickets or are you just talking about the back of the ride?

empathydude
08-05-2004, 01:46 PM
lol?

Oh yeah, and make sure your sub box is made out of plywood, and put lots of holes in it and then add your own custom port to it(actually its where you took a hammer to the box and made a kinda crater hole) and then leave your trunk open in the kmart parking lot after blasting it for about 10 minutes and one of your windows down.

*note I actually did this yrz ago

but seriously just removing the face plate and not bumping before you park is the best way.

flsurf420
08-05-2004, 05:15 PM
lol

thundrks
08-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Leave your windows rolled down, car unlocked, key's in the ignition, giant decal on the top of your windshield that says "PRO SOUND", can't explain it but it works for me.
-MaRcY

Jet-Lee
08-06-2004, 08:00 AM
yea but about the limo tint, would it be worth the tickets or are you just talking about the back of the ride?
You can tint your front windows in a lot of places. Mostly, only the more crowded cities/states have that law.

kenwood guy
08-06-2004, 10:10 PM
Leave your windows rolled down, car unlocked, key's in the ignition, giant decal on the top of your windshield that says "PRO SOUND", can't explain it but it works for me.
-MaRcY

If he cant explain it can someone else ??

thundrks
08-07-2004, 07:08 AM
First of all I'm a she, second it came to my attention that by doing all that stuff people think I'm close to the car so they don't bother trying to rip it off, doubt it would work in a big city though, crooks are more daring there....or stupid, either way.

LEGO MY E
08-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Great suggestions, everyone!

Besides the obvious like USING your removable face-plate (learnt this 'un the hard way!) and keeping your stuff out of sight/out of mind, I believe that the BEST advice given was by sr20de4evr...

"NEVER turn it up anywhere near where you park (home, school, work, etc)"

At least if you value your system, that is.

I live in apartments, so this is ESPECIALLY prudent. If your bass line is kicking loud enough to get half a dozen cretons in your neighborhood to look in your direction, be afraid... be VERY afraid for the safety of your system. Either that, or make sure your insurance covers your custom system!!

Another precaution would be to TAKE notice of your surroundings. If you've just blared your system and caught the attention of some suspicious looking dudes, don't take a direct path home if they follow.

And don't think because you live in a nice neighborhood that you are immune to getting ripped off - quite the contrary!

So am I paranoid? Perhaps. That's what happens when you've been burned before. I just want to enjoy my system a little bit longer, that's all.

One more thing... STOP putting those DAMN decals all over your windshield that advertise what system you have!!!

(LEGO is going to install an 8-track player in the dash and hide his REAL shit)

Add your comment to this topic!