Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Do you use Armor All?

dderolph
08-03-2004, 08:20 PM
Do you use Armor All? How long have you been using it? How often do you re-apply it? If you've used it in the past but no longer use it, why did you stop?

mike@af
08-03-2004, 09:26 PM
IMO Armorall sucks. I'd definately go with Meguiar's or Mothers instead. What applications would you be doing?

dderolph
08-03-2004, 10:33 PM
Actually, my son was thinking about applying Armor All to the dash and vinyl on the doors, etc., in his 92 Accura Integra. I was wondering what other car owners use, if anything. You've mentioned two alternatives. I believe I've seen those brands in local stores. Thanks for mentioning them.

StealthModifier
08-03-2004, 10:41 PM
i hate armorall,, its too oily, i use AMSOIL vinyl cleaner and protectant.. it cleans good and leaves a nice shine that isnt oily,plus brings out the black in my vinyl

4ss4s1n
08-04-2004, 02:34 AM
Well I use it,but only on the dash,it used to have lots of sun damage.

Rod&Custom
08-04-2004, 08:31 AM
I agree with StealthModifier. Armorall is to oily and too shiny. Also if you use it on your tires after they are just cleaned, they seem to actually attract dirt onto the oils(for me anyway). :banghead:

BullShifter
08-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Armor All sux, it's solvent based that makes things look cheap and fake. Not to mention it attracts dust. There are rumors that it dries the natrual oils in vinyl/plastic pieces.

sLADe781
08-06-2004, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I've heard that Armor All causes cracking in the dash...probably because it does what jackasssi just said. It's also super shiny--so much so that it's blinding in the light. My sister use to use it on her Eclipse and when the sun was shining through the windows, good luck seeing the road. :o/ We use Mothers for the inside dash now and it works great.

StealthModifier
08-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Any1 ever put it on their steering wheel? ull just about have a wreck!

coloradoadam
08-13-2004, 01:22 AM
My experience with ARMOR ALL is not good. It is alcohol based and tends to dry out the dash over time. Look for a shine with a water base.

Markgase2000
08-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Armor All sux, it's solvent based that makes things look cheap and fake. Not to mention it attracts dust. There are rumors that it dries the natrual oils in vinyl/plastic pieces.
It has been proven to excellerate cracking and fading in untreated vinyl. Has seen 10 yr old cars/trucks with disintegrating dashes from over use of armor all. I use a product called Super Stuff , its solvent based , oily film left behind that you buff off after leaving it on for 10 minutes , it polishes the surface helps remove fading and lasts for a year , the buffing is mostly to remove the excess and oily feeling after , your left with a water proof shine and will not ever have to clean the vinyl again cus nothing not even coffee will stick or stain it after. DO NOT USE IT ON VINYL ROOFS or engines.
Mothers and Meguirs have awesome mild vinyl protectants that are user friendly and very forgiving. Another product although greasy during aplication is Black Magic Vinyl/Leather dressing apply it let it sit oily for a bit then buff it off till its dry and shiny very mild and looks great after.
I also Use Pro-Tec Seal Vinyl Protectant on new cars/trucks , this product is not greasy and leaves a near permanent shine and protected surface as well , it last forever unless its saturated with an interior cleaner. If you ever use a protectant on vinyl that seems to bead off when putting it on that means you got mold mildew formed on the vinyl , use a interior cleaner to remove the mold/mildew then apply the vinyl protectant. Ummmmmm I guess I agree , armor all suxs

StealthModifier
08-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Where can i find Super Stuff?

ashah000
08-18-2004, 07:55 AM
Yea where can I find any of these other products?

Markgase2000
08-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Super Stuff is sold through a retailer called "Production Pro-Detail Suplly" and the leather Vinyl protection I use is from "Pro-Tec Seal Manufacturing"
You may be able to purchase super stuff at a retailer "production" they aparently have stores all over north america. Also we dont have them anymore but "Auto Magic" Had a vinyl protectant that was a great product , you guys in the states should check them out too.

StealthModifier
08-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Only auto stores around me are AutoZone, Advanced Auto, Pepboys, and a NAPA ..what would be the best thing i can get from those stores as far as cleaners and protectants?

luv2cruz2
08-19-2004, 03:50 PM
DON"T USE ARMORALL the glare is terrible and it will attract dirt like crazy. Definatley use Maguiers or Mothers :nono:

Markgase2000
08-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Only auto stores around me are AutoZone, Advanced Auto, Pepboys, and a NAPA ..what would be the best thing i can get from those stores as far as cleaners and protectants?
Napa boasts there ability to get almost anything , they should be able to find auto magic , prodetail supply , ducan , pro-tec seal , production , car brite and almost any other line up. Each line up has vinyl cleaner in it. Napa also carries plastikote products.

Markgase2000
08-20-2004, 11:23 PM
Napa boasts there ability to get almost anything , they should be able to find auto magic , prodetail supply , ducan , pro-tec seal , production , car brite and almost any other line up. Each line up has vinyl cleaner in it. Napa also carries plastikote products. Also car dealerships with a parts counter will usually carry vinyl cleaner thats safe. I hear great things about meguires wipes but they cost more money , for example you could buy 4L jug of grand slam and make 200 bottles of interior vinyl and carpet spot cleaner or 75 bottles of bug remover , engine/tire degreaser for $30 works out to cost 15 cents a bottle of vinyl cleaner and 40 cents for a bottle of engine degreaser. Since the product I mentioned is suposedly banned from the market in the US due to environmentally unsafe butyl chemical it contains but it gives you an idea what you can get for 30 bucks.
2 cents

MeTaL_MeHeM
09-09-2004, 07:53 PM
I use armorall

it says right on the side of the bottle that it doesn't contian alchol or solvents. Also it claims that it protects a dash from discoloration and cracking. I like the shinyness of a coat of new armorall.

but that is just my experiences with the stuff

CpaintCars
09-15-2004, 08:07 AM
Yeah don't use armor all...I think I had mentioned this in another thread but I use Meguires stuff and it never let me down. If I'm on the web I go to www.paintworldinc.com or I call 1-800-548-4321 to get it delivered to my door.

lowS-DIME
09-21-2004, 10:19 PM
MeTaL_MeHeMis right....
it says right on the bottle..

"Prevents discolorization and cracking of car plastics."

And personaly i like the gloss it leaves...

f1guy68
09-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey All,

Armor-All is not the best product around albeit is one of the best marketed products around! They have re-worked the formula, but I would reccomend any thing else but AA.

I like and use professionaly and dependant on the condition of the vehicle:

Meguiar's #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner

Great New Car Scent and excellent durabilty. And it really does an amzing job at restoring color to faded plastics!

Poorboys World Trim Restore (My personal fave)

Trim Restorer is a long lasting unique dressing, with a patented UV absorber for ultimate protection of exterior and interior surfaces. Restorer is unmatched on grained trim, bumpers, vinyl, leather, dashboards, tires and engine compartment platics. A must for the enthusiast or show car.

NOT GREASY or STICKY
DRIES TO THE TOUCH
LONG LASTING
DOESN’T STREAK

And last but not least,

303 Aerospace Protectant™

303 is THE LEADER in UV screening technology. 303 Aerospace Protectant really is like "SPF 40 Sunscreen ... For Your Stuff." Regular use gives 100% Prevention of UV caused slow-fade with regular use. No other "protectant" beautifies as intensely, protects as powerfully or lasts as long.

The World's Most Manufacturer-Recommended product:
Because of its enduring cosmetic properties, the resistance of 303-treated surfaces to dust, soiling, and staining, its water repellency and unparalleled protective characteristics, manufacturers worldwide recommend 303 Aerospace Protectant.

303 Aerospace Protectant keeps UV-sensitive materials “like new” year after year. Use on Rubber: Tires, neoprene, latex, door and trunk seals, weather-stripping, EPDM rubber roofs, CV boots, waders, wet suits. Vinyl: Convertible tops (and the clear vinyl windows), isinglass, marine seating, tonneau covers, car bras, covers, spa covers, pool covers. Inflatable boats: Hypalon, PVC and urethane blends. Gelcoat fiberglass: Boats, RV’s, snowmobiles, jet ski’s. Plastics/acrylics/polycarbonates: Lexan® and acrylic panels/windows/windshields/covers. Carbon-fiber/resin composites: Fishing rods, “nude” bike frames. Finished leather: Upholstery, motorcycle leather, trim, tack, fine apparel. Pool & Patio: Plastic furniture (not fabric), pool inflatables, slides, covers. Sailcloth: Dacron® and monofilm.

nialusa
10-17-2004, 06:02 AM
I`ve just made the mistake of using armor-all on my dash and it now has an irritating and very distracting reflection/glare on the windscreen/windshield, Ive tried everything to restore the matt effect to the dash but with no luck does anyone know how I can achieve this.

f1guy68
10-17-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm sort of confused by the question...

Do you want to know what to use to get rid of or dull the Armor-All?

or

Do you want to know what to use in the future?

If it's the second question, I would suggest Poorboy's Trim Restore or Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing or Meguiar's #40.

Meguiar's #40 can often be found at automotive supply stores and the Poorboy's can be bought online at :

http://www.premiumautocare.com/potrre16ou.html

http://www.premiumautocare.com/ponalodr16ou.html

That's my 3 picks for the best looking, non greasy and reflective dressing!

nialusa
10-17-2004, 03:30 PM
sorry I should have been more clear, firstly I wanna remove the glossy finish and secondly I`d like to know what to use in the future, (I`d like a non gloss finish) Oh and BTW I live in the UK so do these places deliver over here. I hope so cause UK car interior detailing consists of Gloss, gloss, gloss. I recon they figure that we dont get enough sun for it to be a problem.

f1guy68
10-17-2004, 07:54 PM
sorry I should have been more clear, firstly I wanna remove the glossy finish and secondly I`d like to know what to use in the future, (I`d like a non gloss finish) Oh and BTW I live in the UK so do these places deliver over here. I hope so cause UK car interior detailing consists of Gloss, gloss, gloss. I recon they figure that we dont get enough sun for it to be a problem.

No prob's!

To remove the Armor All, I would suggest a damp (not dripping) terry towel cloth and a mild dish soap solution and then wipe again with a clean damp rinse cloth and then dry! That should get the Armor All off or matt it down! Again..not soaking or dripping as we want to take care around the electrics in the car!

Poorboy's Claims that they ship International. but I'm not sure that includes the UK?

But your in luck, as Meguiars has a set up in the UK and has all sorts of good stuff like the Meguiar's #40 I suggested above! It costs £8.60 which is a good price comparative to what I would pay for it here in Canada! So I would suggest you ring them at 0870 241 6696 and see what they can do for you!

Check here for the Meguiar's UK web site!:

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/

nialusa
10-19-2004, 02:56 AM
Cheers, that was a great help, I will order some Meguiars #40 and hopefully enjoy some Glare free driving from now on, thanks again.

update - (Got some Maguires #40, also a 3 step polishing kit, absolutely awesome finish, much better than anything I have ever used before and i have tried everything. No more Armour all for me, Maguires all the way.)

koeb$
10-19-2004, 12:32 PM
amor all IMO is no good, Xtreme Solutions and Technicians choice make moderatly better for a fraction of the cost

fastlane1588
11-12-2004, 03:10 PM
armor all on the dash boards is nice,and it last for ever, ive gone 6 months w/ out puting more on

DTails
11-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Meguires has a nice vinyl shine and I think its available at Pep Boys or Walmart.

barretire
11-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Do you use Armor All? How long have you been using it? How often do you re-apply it? If you've used it in the past but no longer use it, why did you stop?

Mequirs definately..armorall discolors your vinyl

ipath43
12-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Do the other products like the armor all have the same effect..? I have plastic paneling on my trunk lid, and the plastic has dryed out from the sun and kind of.. fades light black, to dark black. but the armor all seems to get rid of that.. temporarlly, is there anything else i can use thats maybe more perminant? or would it just be easyer to take it off and re-paint it?

Thanx, Cody

Hdcgamer
12-22-2004, 12:18 PM
My experience with Armor-All over two and a half years with my car has been good. My dash looks brand new. Sorry if you guys have had such a bad experience with it, but I'd like to see some solid proof that Armor-All harms the interior. I started using the ultra shine AA and I like it, I don't really care about glares, they only happen at certain angles and times of day. Seriously, complaining about AA glare is like complaining that your Flowmaster drones. Lame.

Markgase2000
12-27-2004, 08:02 PM
I like shiny vinyl I just dont like the testimonies from every one I know who uses it and they showed me the results hoping I could fix it. I have to clean it out of the vinyl when someone has over used it and when I take cleaners to it the over applied armor all gels up like thick crud. I use only water based vinyl dressings or plastic dressings and for restoration of the faded plastics that the vinyl dressings cant fix get a solvent based vinyl dressing that contains Naptha to polish the faded vinyl back to normal. Remember the 80's civics? The black trim around the console and instrument clusters like to fade when armor all has been used over the years and it seems that the armor all restores it but as soon as it wears off the fading is back and bigger than before (the more you use it the quicker it wears off)
I think its a fine product if it is used properly , I think when they came out with the cleaning wipes they were giving a hint to the users that it is a good idea to clean the vinyl before reapplying the armor all. I think for the sake of arguement , I will do an experiment and use armor all for a month and form a true opinion myself cus I think I may have unfairly judged this product.
HDCgamer , do you clean your vinyl before using the armor all?

Hdcgamer
12-28-2004, 10:00 AM
With armor-all you have to wipe it off to a certain extent to remove dust and other contaminants because it tends to collect them. Markgase: I think its a good idea to experiment with a good cleaner before each armor-all reapplication. I just can't accept that it is Armor-All's fault that peoples' dashes are cracking. If it was "proven" that AA caused this, then the company would have been out of business a long time ago or they would have had to re-work their formula (which they actually have.)

I will probably try this and see if it works better than AA:

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/303-30340.html

GT14SLR
03-09-2006, 02:16 PM
I have had excellent results with Black Magic protectant. I use it on the dash, interior plastic, and rubber weatherstripping. I also use it on the tires, although Black Magic also has a product called "Tire Wet" the regular protectant seems just as good to me, so why keep 2 bottles around?

Both products are available at Advance Auto Parts, and Autozone, at least in the Midwest.

Sa Detailer
03-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Want to keep your your interior looking clean like the day you bought the vehicle? Clean it often!!!

If you all read your manuals, it states to wipe with a clean damp towel. My 5 yr. old Chevy truck and my 3 yr old Benz have never seen an once of any kind of protectant. They both look like new.

My vehicles get washed weekly, rain or shine. Just wipe interior with a damp MF towel. Armor All does not cause drying or cracking of dash, dust build up does.

Kingster1965
05-04-2006, 10:21 PM
I use Armor All & Meguiars. My brother and I rebuild and show cars every now and then and these two brands suffice for our needs. After reading your comments, you should realise that Armor All have released some new products and the Protectant Gel is really good. It shines but does not leave the oily touch that the spray bottle do, give it a try.

Mick

Sa Detailer
05-14-2006, 09:42 PM
I use Armor All & Meguiars. My brother and I rebuild and show cars every now and then and these two brands suffice for our needs. After reading your comments, you should realise that Armor All have released some new products and the Protectant Gel is really good. It shines but does not leave the oily touch that the spray bottle do, give it a try.

Mick

NO THANK YOU!

Chiquae07
05-14-2006, 11:39 PM
i dont use it at all...but instead of all that, just water and vinegar does the job really well for me, just gotta make sure to leave the window open unless u like vinegar smell.

proudfordowner
05-19-2006, 10:08 AM
yes, i use it.. i alppy it everytime i wax the car so 2 times every week, but just for the interior (wipes) and ive been using it for about 2 years

good product *thumbs up*

proudfordowner
05-28-2006, 12:20 PM
im trying different ones.. it was just temperary.. ive been compairing lots but i like meguires

Add your comment to this topic!