Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Why should I buy a Passat

ganik17
08-03-2004, 10:59 AM
My wife and I test drove a Passat GLS TDI on Sunday. We also test drove an Audi A4. We asked the Volkswagen salesman to tell us what was good about the Passat. He said price and fuel economy. While those are two important things surely there must be others. He had only been selling cars for a week and I donít think he knew what made the Passat a good car. So I figured that I would go to the experts, current Passat owners, and find what you thought made the Passat a good car. We are a family of 3. Our daughter is just about to turn 1, so we want a safe car with room enough for her car seat and four adults. If there is anyone who can tell me what they like about the Passat, or better yet, why a Passat is a better choice than the A4. I do want a fun car, but with the Passat TDI $5,000 less than the A4 and with the possibility of 0% financing my head says go with the Passat.

Thanks for any help.
Robert

Epsilon
08-04-2004, 11:17 AM
If it is anything like my old 1997 VR6 Passat GLX then you will regret it when the Warranty expires. It was an excellent car when it worked, but a piece about 1 week of the month while in the shop.

Of course it started having major problems around 68,000 miles. I did all the matenence when needed, but still a Lemmon. Go out on the web and read a little more before you buy. I know that this doesn't help in your desicions, but I do recommend knowing the most about the cars you plan purchasing before you buy.

If you are going to go anything, then get the TDI like you wanted. The TDI versions of VW are the proven most reliable. I considered a TDI, but the wife refused to own another vw. Please don't flame me for my beliefs and what has happened to me, Thanks.

anicepl
08-05-2004, 01:12 PM
I own a '96 passat tdi with over 225,000 miles on it and have had no problems with it other than needing to get new cv joints at like 195,000 miles. i also have 2 children, and i love to drive my car more than my van. it is sporty and economical (fuel wise) and a long lasting car. My parents also have 3 of these cars that they use for their business, and have had no problems with theirs at all.

make your own decision, but i say a passat is a great car.

ganik17
08-05-2004, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the help. Other than reliability is there anything about the Passat that is really nice? It didn't really feel sporty in the TDI, but I had just driven the A4 and it was probably not a fair comparision. The 1.8 felt much better, but was only about 3k less than the A4.

limacina
08-05-2004, 09:58 PM
our 1.8T 01 passat is great, 88,000 on it and I just did the brakes, I have the seemingly typical rough idle and they want $1100 for a timing belt at the dealership. Local mechanics that are good suggest going to a dealer and the hacks can do it for under $500. Admittedly, my wife drives it and babies it. I'd beat it into the ground pretty fast I'd bet. If your abusive on cars, buy what the rental agencies supply, you know they're built for the abuse and no fringe bene's
Passat is the generic A4, all the parts are the same. You can get a fully loaded passat for the price of a stripped Audi last time I checked.

mrtwo
08-06-2004, 06:29 AM
What is so special about Passat timing belt? I changed my camry's for $200 at a local mechanics. Just curious?

limacina
08-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Funny you should mention Camry, one very reliable mechanic I went to said he could do 3 toyota belts in the time it may take him to do a Passat belt and he was busy enough not to take the job. I would have paid him for the effort of the 3 though. I looked in the Haynes manual and I does look pretty straight forward.
I'm also confused on the effort required
It's the biggest issue I've seen so far on our car.
Exhaust will probabally cost a second mortgage!!

Add your comment to this topic!