Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Rear End

LTJGWorth
08-02-2004, 05:30 PM
I have posted about this before, but i'm going to try and get some more input on it. I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 ext cab with 360 V8 and auto tranny. My problem is that my differential "whines" when I touch the gas pedal. As soon as I let off, it stops. Also, i noticed just before I changed the fluid in my diff that the case was leaking oil from the bottom and it seemed to be coming from the cover (like a bad seal). I took the cover off, cleaned it good, put a large bead of silicone on it, replaced it, and put in new oil. I also put a large bead of silicone around each bolt in the cover. It still leaks and still whines. What's my problem?

fredjacksonsan
08-02-2004, 10:34 PM
The whine was addressed by alot of folks I think, could either be normal wear, or something not quite aligned and a problem. While you had it open, did you check the gear wear pattern? The gears should mesh somewhere near the center; if that's where the mesh pattern is, it's likely ok. I had some old Chryslers (and Fords, too) where the rear would whine, but never had a problem.

As far as the leak, is there a gasket you can get for the cover? You might want to mate it up, dry, and look to see that nothing is out of round and that the surfaces are both flat.

Hope these ideas help....

fredjacksonsan
08-02-2004, 10:35 PM
...mating up the diff and the cover, without the gasket I meant to say...

LTJGWorth
08-03-2004, 11:41 AM
If this leak continues I'm going to have to change the fluid so I will try that. I examines the gears when I had the cover off and everything seemed to be ok. You say you've had other trucks whine? This is the first vehicle I have ever experienced or even heard of the whining in the diff except maybe on a big rig. Thanks for the advice!

fredjacksonsan
08-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Sure; no sweat. By the way, how many miles on your truck and when did the whine begin?

LTJGWorth
08-03-2004, 08:00 PM
I've only had my truck since 2002 and as far as i can remember, it has whined ever since I got it. It has about 111,000 miles on it now. It runs great. No problems in the engine and haven't really had any except for the TPS. I change the oil every 3000 miles and do regular check-ups on it. I changed the water pump about a month ago. it didn't really need to be changed, but I was worried about it because the battery fell off the stand and onto the power steering pump pulley and it rubbed a large hole in the battery and it sprayed acid all over the engine compartment. I changed the belt and the water pump right after that and inspected everything. Now there is a clicking sound that seems to be coming from the belt tensioner. Since I'm rambling about all this would anyone happen to know what that could be besides the tensioner? And if it is the tensioner, is there any way I can fix it without changing the tensioner (it's an expensive little part). Thanks for all your help.

fredjacksonsan
08-03-2004, 09:26 PM
111k? Drive it! Find the leak and refill and leave it alone....if it's lasted this long without a problem, it's likely ok. Of course if you're worried you could put a new set of gears in it....now, or if/when it ever lets go. (or starts grinding)

Hopefully you hosed down the entire engine compartment to get the acid out; that stuff could cause alot of little problems down the road.

As far as the clicking, are you sure it's the tensioner? Is it the bolts holding the tensioner or the bearings IN the tensioner? Sounds like a little more sleuthing is in order, but I'd check a junkyard first, since the new part is expensive.

BleedDodge
08-03-2004, 11:26 PM
If the whining is too much, turn the stereo up so you can't hear it. If you're worried about other people hearing it, put some big pipes on. Just drive it until something gives up.

LTJGWorth
08-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Yea thats about what I figured. And hey Bleed, i do turn the stereo up. It helps and you can't hear it with the speakers i've got in it. In fact, when the stereo is off, i don't notice it since i'm used to it. As for new gears, I want an Auborn Gear limited slip put in and when i get the money its going in. Actually if you want to know what I'd really like to do with the rear end of this truck, i want to find the Dana rear end out of a Ram 2500, replace the gears with an ARB Air Locking Diff and put that in. That would give me some more strength in the axles and some off-road ability. But that's really expensive so I'd say I'm either stuck with the whine, or pour $450 into the limited slip. As for the tensioner, it sounds like its coming from the tensioner. The clicking is in sequence with the movement of the tensioner. It is probably the bearings or something in the tensioner since the pully is made of plastic. The tensioning arm it self is metal. I guess I could try tightening it up, but i'll look into it. Thanks for the advice.

BleedDodge
08-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Try to find a wrecked 2500, and rob the whole back axle out of it. Do you pull a 5th wheel at all? Take the springs while you're at it, that's what I would do anyway...

STEVEENUMCLAW
09-29-2004, 07:00 PM
I Experienced The Same Thing On My 99 Ram 1500 2wd. Got Louder And Louder. Took It To An Independant Mechanic That I Have Had Years Of Trusted Service With. I Refuse To Go To Any Dealer Mechanics For Any Car. They Took The Rear End Apart And Found Everything Ok........except The Wheel Bearing ! Was A $700. Job Though, Thanks To Labor Being So Costly. Oh Well, Everybody Has To Make A Profit. I Have The Wheel Bearing On My Desk As A Paper Weight.
Dodge Rams Made In Mexico Are Shipped By Rail Car To U.s.. As They Sit On The Rail Cars The Wheels Are Anchored To The Cars With Straps. But The Truck Is Not Anchored, Just The Wheels. So As The Rail Car Wiggles And Sways And Bounces Back And Forth So Does The Vehicle Move Back And Forth On The Axels And On The Wheel Bearings. Hundreds If Not Thousands Of Vehicles Transported That Way Suffered Bad Wheel Bearings Even Before They Were Sold. My Front Bearings Were Gone When I Drove It Off The Lot. They Replaced Them All For Free.
The Rears Were Supposed To Have Been Replaced But I Dont Think They Ever Did It.

milkman1
09-30-2004, 09:50 AM
I had a whine in mine too, took it back to dealer cause it was still under warrenty and they rebuillt rearend. said it was a bearing problem causing the noise. After they fixed it no more noise. Cost somewhere around 800. at the dealer sure was glad that warrenty covered it.

LTJGWorth
09-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Yea, it's not the wheel bearings on my truck. I would definatly know. I found out that it's the pinion bearings. Something about bad metal from the factory that they were made in. The metal wasn't heated to the right temp and it cause it to become pitted and makes the whining sound. I'm getting mine replaced, if my rear-end doesn't go out first.

fredjacksonsan
10-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Well, if you find a problem, always good to fix it; shouldn't be too bad, $$ wise.

Add your comment to this topic!