Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ignition switch problem-Saturn

kcarroll
08-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Bought a 2001 Saturn SL1 for my daughter. If you turn the key all the way to lock position you can't turn back on unless you jiggle the steering wheel at times for couple of minutes. Doesn't matter if you are sitting on level ground or where you are at the time it happens every time. I took the plastic moulding around the column off and could not find a release button to remove the cylinder. Just lubricated the best I could and still have the same problem every time you turn the key all the way to lock.
1. Can anyone tell me how to get this cylinder out?
2. Where can I buy a cylinder other than a dealer?

I appreciate any help.
Kenny

speediva
08-02-2004, 02:09 PM
(Moved to Saturn forum by Tangie)

sierrap615
08-03-2004, 12:13 AM
its designed to lock as a safety device, but it shouldn't take MINUTES to unlock more like seconds.(i think the owners manial has a short write-up on why its there) i'm not sure what device does the locking. go to a dealer ship or ask over at Saturnfans.com

alain1
08-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Hi,my neiborg and I both had similar problem,hoppefully you have a spare key,compare them carefully if one of them appears worned,ie.the edges are well rounded it probably is at fault,try the other one if it works good just go and get a new key cut,Alain.

sierrap615
08-05-2004, 12:12 AM
i didn't mention this becuz saturn supposively changed the cylinder design in 96. but quite a few earlier cylinders did wear the key out, the key shavings stayed inside the cylinder, after awhile the cylinder would sezie up and lock the key inside. but like i said this shouldn't be the case on later models

sierrap615
08-05-2004, 12:18 AM
2. Where can I buy a cylinder other than a dealer?

another idea is many parts stores(autozone,carquest,ect..) sell universal ignitions, as long as you don't mind carrying around two keys

kcarroll
08-05-2004, 05:31 AM
Thanks all. Problem solved. Went to local Saturn dealer and they were great. Cut new key and my problem went away. They made 2 new keys and charged me $8.48. I appreciate all you replies.
Thanks
Kenny

300+
08-05-2004, 07:32 PM
I guess there is a reason my Saturn dealer is one of the top 20. My keys have been free.

Add your comment to this topic!