Recharging the a/c?

Vtec
08-02-2004, 02:29 PM
My 93 Jimmy seems as though it's ran out of a/c coolant whatever it's called, cause it's not putting out much cool air anymore. One place told me that I have to convert everything before they can recharge or refill it. I don't see why, due to everything looking the same as any other vehicle. Does anybody know if I have to convert everything in order to refill or recharge the a/c? or should they be able to refill it. I had a 94 integra and there was no issues I went in they hooked up to it and within like 15mins it was done. This seems strange that I have to change everything to refill it.

GMCTech
08-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Some places will no longer recharge R-12 systems. They require you to change over to R-134.

This really isn't as involved as they are making it sound. In the long run it will save you money. The initial cost of the swap will be just about as much as recharging an R-12 system, but in the long run you will not be paying $80 a pound for your refrigerant, it'll only be about $10 a pound.

I always suggest swapping to R-134 if you have the oppurtunity, especially if you think the system may be leaking.

Hope this helps.

Vtec
08-03-2004, 09:58 PM
Some places will no longer recharge R-12 systems. They require you to change over to R-134.

This really isn't as involved as they are making it sound. In the long run it will save you money. The initial cost of the swap will be just about as much as recharging an R-12 system, but in the long run you will not be paying $80 a pound for your refrigerant, it'll only be about $10 a pound.

I always suggest swapping to R-134 if you have the oppurtunity, especially if you think the system may be leaking.

Hope this helps.
It does actually but now I would like to know why they want $400 just to convert it over. Are you an actuall GMCTech? if so I got another problem maybe you can help me with.

Add your comment to this topic!