Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Non factory spec'd rims..

FireBallKY
08-01-2004, 07:31 PM
I have a '96 Nissan XE ext cab. Factory rims are 14" and I have a set of 15" rims with 205/50's. What has to be done, if anything, to adjust the odometer/speedometer to work accurately?

01rollaS&accordv6
08-01-2004, 09:20 PM
have the gear drive system calibrated and reset to your new wheels and tires take it to a shop they shouldn't charge much about 15 to 20 dollars.it is usually located next to the transmission

FireBallKY
08-02-2004, 02:00 PM
Thanks a bunch. I'll check into it today. When I had them on before, my speedometer and odometer were waaaaay off.

I have asked a few people in the past, including a couple of shops, and they said I could run the rim but would have to adjust the tire to make everything normal. As you can see, I wasn't totally satisified with that answer.

Thanks again.

SaabJohan
08-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks a bunch. I'll check into it today. When I had them on before, my speedometer and odometer were waaaaay off.

I have asked a few people in the past, including a couple of shops, and they said I could run the rim but would have to adjust the tire to make everything normal. As you can see, I wasn't totally satisified with that answer.

Thanks again.
Tire size should be adjusted so the wheel size stays the same, anyone who has said that is correct. In many cases it's illegal to change wheel size.

FireBallKY
08-03-2004, 02:38 PM
Illegal? People change tire/wheel sizes ALLLL the time. Makes me feel like we're in a communist world. hehe Would that be for potential, future selling purposes?

Sluttypatton
08-05-2004, 06:12 AM
What he means is the overall diameter of the tire and wheel. For example, when you plus size the wheels you buy lower profile tires so the overall diameter ends up being the same.

FireBallKY
08-05-2004, 02:43 PM
So what if I already have the bigger rims and already have the tires? Can I still have the gear drive system calibrated to fix this? No, I haven't made it to the shop yet. Waiting until I get some extra money to have these tires/wheels mounted plus the gear box work.

Sluttypatton
08-05-2004, 04:41 PM
Yes you can have it recalibrated, I was just clairifying the diameter issue.

Add your comment to this topic!