Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Bad MAF?

Arnoldtheskier
08-01-2004, 11:45 AM
About a year ago I got this jerking/shaking..at about 50 mph..out of the blue..for about 3-4 seconds.8 months later..the check engine light comes on..stays on for a miniute or two..then big loss of power..NO missing just about 0 power..and it stalled a few times..after a few minutes it was fine again.Then it did it again for the next hour or so..on and off.NO codes in the computer stored??.Back to perfect for a few months..then the occassional light on..stall..NO codes yet??There is NO pattern when it does this.Does it WHEN IT WANTS!..Been perfect for a few weeks.Does this sound like a bad maf? FINALLY I get a code 157..low voltage maf..even though the light has NOT been on for a while now.The maf is $250 Cdn..bone yard is $10..they laugh.. IF you can find a "tamper proof T20 torx driver" to get it out.This proved pretty much impossible in Toronto..with like 5 million people in the Greater Toronto Area..WHO DIDN'T I CONTACT???...I am sure that Snap On would have one..probablly worth more than the car.An internet search showed ONLY a scientific store here with a set of "tamper proof torx allen keys"..$13.LOL..this thing/screws were SO TIGHT that NO MAN with ANY screwdriver would have gotten it out..NEEDED the allen keys!!.Are there different types of "tamper proof torx's"??? I have heard/read of people saying their's were epoxied or something??..or had a tab that could be broken off??..UNH UNH!!!!!! with these babies.These were the real deal..torx head with a STRONG INACCESSIBLE!!! metal pin right in the centre up to the head of it.Thought of grinding the pin off/out with a Dremel..or sawing a slot in it with the Dremel..OR putting a torx driver in my drill press..and drilling one out..YA right..Off to the bone to get one.I'll change it when it quits..cya..Arnold

Frunobulax
08-01-2004, 12:01 PM
Did you check the Autozone site? They have one listed for my '91.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?UseCase=C001&UserAction=performSearch&Parameters=Auto+Store%7C%7EREGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP%7 C%7EAIR+FLOW+SENSOR+-+MASS

Arnoldtheskier
08-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Ya..thanks..I DID check with pretty much EVERYONE up here.Sure they ALL were ONLY TOO eager to wanna sell me the sensor..could get it/had it etc.,..all about $250..NONE of them had/could get/knew where I could get tamperproof torx..tell ya..I was PRETTY SURPRISED! to say the least.I went to some pretty big industiral places/tool suppliers/auto parts suppliers.The guy at the scientific store said I wa lucky..HUNH?? he said they used to be basically IMPOSSIBLE to lay my grubby little hands on..something about some big patent,lawsuit..infringment b.s.Reminds me of the time I needed to fix a loose tilt steering column and needed an "inverse torx socket"..ya that's right..JUST like it sounds..I needed a FEMALE TORX bit..to get this thing back together.

AaronR
08-01-2004, 02:55 PM
I got a set of torx bits, including the tamperproof ones, for $3.99 at carquest, found it in a pile of made-in-china tools.

Arnoldtheskier
08-01-2004, 03:42 PM
I believe you..lol..there's a Carquest a few blocks from my house.Actually there's 4 of them fairly close by.Tried there too..oh..I'm SURE! that stuff sortta "slips in" under the wire..and sortta gets' "sold".I can find that stuff when I DON'T need it..actually I did sort of luck out..'cause I didin't actually need it that second..

Add your comment to this topic!