Page updated on 10-22-2017

89 lesabre performance?

SpeedDemon101
08-01-2004, 10:57 AM
Is there any sort of performance products out there for a 89 lesabre?

redly1
08-02-2004, 10:14 AM
You could always start with a K&N filter...I've never tried one, but some guys swear by them. If you do that, you may want to do a "cold air box" mod. My understanding is that you increase the size and change the position of the inlet to the air filter box.

From there, I think it gets spendy

SpeedDemon101
08-02-2004, 11:23 AM
well ive already got the k&n air filter, platinum plugs, and took the catty off. I cant find anywhere that has any sort of cold air induction system for the series 1 3800s

redly1
08-02-2004, 11:54 AM
I was looking at the air box on my car (91). It looks like it would be a very easy DIY mod with a hole saw, black poly 4" pipe (cheap stuff for drains at home depot). I would creat a flange and mount a 45degree bend downward at about ~7oclock angle and pull cold air coming in from under the car. Make sure to use a metal screen on the inlet, so you don't suck in too many bugs/rocks.
You're gonna have to clean your K&N at least monthly, but this will really open up the inlet air

other than that, I haven't come across a whole lot of parts for series 1 Vin C (88-91) 3800 engines

I'm thinking of fabrication one for the heck of it. I can't imagine the parts would cost more than $10. Wanna be my guinie pig??

SpeedDemon101
08-02-2004, 09:18 PM
i found a guy online that did something of that sort but he place the k&n cone filter into a hole in the inner fender. he reported results of better performance but he lost 1-2 mpg.

redly1
08-02-2004, 10:09 PM
I'm pulling this out of my ass...so here goes

I would guess that the computer compensates for the extra air flow by increasing the amount of fuel going into the mixture, thus the loss of MPG. The extra power is the result of more air and fuel being injected into the cylinder (think of it this way, more TNT, bigger explosion)

I don't fully understand the benefits/pitfalls of running your fuel mixture lean or rich (lean = higher % or air than "normal", rich = higher percentage of fuel, IIRC) I wonder what a combination of the "cold air box and K&N" mod and the "10%+ HP boost" mod you see on ebay would result in.

IIRC, the mod from ebay alters what the ECM seems as a fuel mixture ratio by installing a resistor divider circuit on the O2 sensor (??)

here is an example of the mod on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7913401349&category=33597

any way you look at it, these are pretty cheap mods that are easily reversable if they don't work. ENJOY!!

Add your comment to this topic!