Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Changing wheel studs

keithf99
07-31-2004, 08:45 AM
I have 1997 2 wheel drive rodeo. I need to change one of the front studs. Do you have to pull the front hub and wheel bearings or does the rotor come off on its own? I think I read on this forum that it takes a special socket to pull the front wheel bearings. Is this right ?

thanks

jstonefish
10-12-2004, 10:34 PM
Hub and rotor assemblies need to be separated to change wheel studs. Removing the 3 philllips head machine screws from the "wheel nut washer" can be problematic. Once you get that done, Performance Tool part # W83007 (~$12) will be helpful. I found one at Tool King. Once that wheel nut is removed, it will all be obvious. Not a great way to spend the weekend.

v6stang108
06-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Hub and rotor assemblies need to be separated to change wheel studs. Removing the 3 philllips head machine screws from the "wheel nut washer" can be problematic. Once you get that done, Performance Tool part # W83007 (~$12) will be helpful. I found one at Tool King. Once that wheel nut is removed, it will all be obvious. Not a great way to spend the weekend.

That special tool is recomended. It took me but 15 seconds with a punch and a VERY lite tap of a rubber mallet, at a lefty loosy angle, to get the retaining nut off. Just don't use the holes the little screws were in. If you are new to bear changes I'd say go ahead and get the tool.

Add your comment to this topic!