Buying advice

prginocx
07-31-2004, 01:01 AM
I'm in the market for a used '97 to 2001 Jimmy 4 door. What is the most reliable engine / tranny combination ? What should I look out for in a used Jimmy ?

Teaman3
09-18-2004, 08:50 PM
The engine/transmission are usually the last things to worry about on a Jimmy. Having said that, any engine blowing purple/black smoke constantly should be avoided. Smoke at start up is indicative of worn valves seals. Constant smoke is more serious - worn bores/rings/pistons/valve guides.

Rumbles/whines from the transmission are indicative of a major problem looming, ie 3 figure repair cost. Same for harsh shifting if an automatic.

The main problems appear to be electrical and of course, rust. Early Jimmy's rusted under the carpet at the mounts (no mastic/poor welds). Paint quality wasn't too good either; a noticeable absence on the interior of panels. In easy terms, a Jimmy will more likely rust from the inside out than vice versa.

If I lifted the bonnet up on a possible buy, I would really hope to see a clean engine and bay with a gleam of oiled surfaces, but not a steam cleaned one. That would tell me the vehicle has been regularly maintained. Steam cleaning is a salesman attempt at making you think that. A dirty oily engine and bay gives me room to knock the price down or walk away.

At the end of the day, it's instinct and caveat emptor, so don't ignore your instinct.

Add your comment to this topic!