Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Really weird

chevycat
07-30-2004, 10:32 PM
I was searching the net for some answers to what is going on with my truck and didn't find any relevant info on my problem.I found this place during my search and thought someone here might be able to give me some advice as to what could be going on.

I have an automatic 1994 Chevy Silverado.Today when I turned the key off and took the keys out,I noticed that my truck was still running.The power windows,radio,AC,etc...wasn't working,but the engine was still going.The first 2 times it just shut off on it's own after a few minutes,but the last time,it ran for 10 minutes until I got my neighbor over to help me.He put the truck in gear and turned the key off and it shut off.

Anyone know what could be going on???
TIA

broughy84
07-31-2004, 10:35 AM
sounds like it is "deiseling" Do a search for this and see what you come up with. As I do not know how to solve that problem, If I am thinking right it is to do with the timing or something, but not sure.

Shortbus
07-31-2004, 11:53 AM
I've never heard of a fuel injected vehicle dieseling before, the carbuerated engines did since the fuel bowl was still full of gas and the engine would continue to make vacume and pull the gas from the carb. Sounds like an electronic issue, since there is no way the engine could still pull fuel from the injectors by vacume alone.

02blackstallion
07-31-2004, 02:53 PM
I agree. Sounds like a bad switch, its turing off your accessories but not the ignition and the fuel system. Try replacing the switch

chevycat
08-01-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I have noticed since I posted this that when it keeps running,I can put my foot on the brake and the truck shuts off.
Sometimes though after I take my foot off the brake the engine light,brake light,etc...will come on and my truck will make the annoying sound like when the keys are in the ignition and the door is open,but once I put my foot on the brake it stops.
Sometimes I have to tap the brake a few times to get THAT to stop.

I do appreciate the help.My b/f is not too mechanically inclined.I trust him with my cp,but not my truck.LOL

silveradoman
08-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Are you the original owner? maybe somebody installed a remote starter and itīs crapping out on you

SpitAndDirt
08-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Im in agreement with silverado man about the remote starter. I have installed one on my truck and the safety kill is the brake pedal. Look up under your dash for lots of wires that don't look like they came from the factory and find the box they are connected too. Tell us what you find -Chris

chevycat
08-22-2004, 09:24 PM
Are you the original owner? maybe somebody installed a remote starter and itīs crapping out on you

No I am not the original owner.
I don't know about the remote starter,but it does have an alarm on it.
I don't use it and haven't in a while.

The other day the lights on the dash and the annoying buzzing sound stayed on apparantly all night and all day and killed my battery.
Well,I charged the battery back up and now I have noticed that the little alarm light is staying on all the time now(it wasn't before)

So do you think it is possible that the stupid alarm system is what is behind all the problems?

chevycat
08-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Im in agreement with silverado man about the remote starter. I have installed one on my truck and the safety kill is the brake pedal. Look up under your dash for lots of wires that don't look like they came from the factory and find the box they are connected too. Tell us what you find -Chris

There are all kinds of wires under there.LOL.I know some are for that darn alarm,but I will look and see if I can figure out anything.

I have called places before and noone around here seems to know how to take an alarm system off.(can you say small hick town?LOL)
And the one place I did find charged an arm and a leg and only gave me an hourly price and couldn't give me ANY estimate of how long it would take.

SpitAndDirt
08-23-2004, 02:32 AM
Idiots.....Yes you can take the alarm off yourself. But just be prepared with shop manual to check wires. Some people wire things up really weird. I wire alarms in so that if they need to be removed its as simple as just un-clipping wires. I try not to cut anything that is factory for this purpose. Taking off an alarm is soooooo much easier than installing it! It would take maybe an hour to disconnect everything. -Chris

chevycat
08-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Idiots.....Yes you can take the alarm off yourself. But just be prepared with shop manual to check wires. Some people wire things up really weird. I wire alarms in so that if they need to be removed its as simple as just un-clipping wires. I try not to cut anything that is factory for this purpose. Taking off an alarm is soooooo much easier than installing it! It would take maybe an hour to disconnect everything. -Chris

Thanks for the reply.I don't think this female will be disconnecting any alarm.LOL.I would have it so screwed up it never would run again.Hehe.
I will see if I can find a friend that is up for the challenge.
Maybe the alarm is my problem and once I can get it disconnected maybe it will stop acting so screwy.
Thanks again.

Az Lee
08-27-2004, 09:56 PM
I am almost 100% sure your alarm is the problem. As a shop owner I make alot of money removing alarm systems from vehicles . They are great when they work but they dont last very long before they malfunction.

Add your comment to this topic!