Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

will a s5 tII engine b a direct bolt in for a 87 gxl

rx7sracer
07-30-2004, 09:13 PM
does the s4 and s5 engine interchangable without lots of fabrication

D3rELiC
07-31-2004, 05:04 AM
they are bolt on,
but you'll have to mess up with wirering.

Soyo
08-01-2004, 10:48 PM
it won't connect to the tranny the same

D3rELiC
08-02-2004, 03:49 AM
it won't connect to the tranny the same

no?

Soyo
08-02-2004, 02:25 PM
flywheel needs to match the engine... but if you put in an S5 tranny with the S5 engine it can go with the S4 rear end just fine

J-Rat
08-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Actually, you can run an S5 tranny on an S4 car. The flywheel can be replaced on the S4 motor. It will still balance the car.

At least thats how I did it when I did the S5 swap to my friends car.

Soyo
08-02-2004, 05:55 PM
hes putting an S5 motor in an S4, so he'll need an S5 tranny as well

J-Rat
08-03-2004, 03:08 AM
I said that backwards. I ran an S4 tranny on an S5 motor.

D3rELiC
08-03-2004, 06:35 AM
yea, my 12a tranny would fit on an s5 engine, i dont know why an s4 tranny wouldnt.

89tracerman
09-05-2004, 10:49 PM
do u have to buy other motor mounts for the S5 and is it dificult to get the wirering corect?

WankelTII
09-06-2004, 09:20 AM
any 13b, will bolt to any rx7 tranny! S4s and S5s all work fine, there is no difference in the trannys really, i think 1st gear is geared just a hair lower on s4 trannies, but thats basically it. The only thing is that no matter what engine you put where, you need to have the counterweight that came on that engine. The flywheel must be swaped in some cases, but not in yours. I put an s5 engine in an s4 car, im not sure the emissions stuff will work, i romoved it all anyway. The temp sensor is different i believe. You need low imp. injectors 550cc injectors, the ones on your s5 motor will be high imp. You need an s4 throttle body and tps sensor, you should be able to get some $$ for your s5 throttle body and tps sensors on ebay. The oil metering pump (OMP) must be an s4, or a manual one, the electric (s5) OMP will not work! I didnt use either, i premix, with 2 stroke oil. Basically one bottle of 2 stroke oil per tank of gas. This lubricates apex seals and helps with idle problems, and helps gas mileage. If you do not have OMP you cannot forget to do this. If you think you might forget, i would suggest a manual OMP (s4) and premix with marvels mystery oil in every tank to make up for OMPs crappy design. You must have an S5 radiator, or an s4 water pump, i suggest the radiator and i would go ahead and upgrade to an electric fan at the same time. Just get a stock s5 radiator, it is huge, it will cool anything, no need for a bigger one. Electric fan also means you need a cone air filter, and adapter. The adapters are like $4 or $5 at autozone. Just go ahead and buy the racing beat block off plates for the intake manifold, they arent too expensive and it will save you alot of headache when setting things up. You must remove smog pump. If you want to keep power steering, then use the s5 pump, and plug the line on the back of the rack, this works and feels better than using the s4 pump, dont worry about the plugs, they wont match up but it doesnt have to be pluged in, it will work fine anyway. AC is up to you, if you remove it you save alot of weight, but its also hot in the summer. If you remove AC and Power steering, you can save over 50lbs, you will need a manual steering rack, or you can temporarily use yours by pluging the rear, small hole on the rack (bolt in rubber hose, just cut line about 4in above rack) The other 2 lines must be cut before the rubber hose starts, and just run one into the other (rubber fuel line over each end of cut metal steering hose). If done this way, it is surprisingly easy to steer and has a good feel. Thats all i can think of right now, take your time and be careful, its easy to screw stuff up. If you arent sure about something, just ask before you do.

I have alot of the parts you need, if you are interested, email me @ skabidat@hotmail.com

WankelTII
09-06-2004, 09:09 PM
I am sorry, i read your post wrong, a TII engine will work in a gxl, but you will have to use a gxl flywheel and clutch if you stick whit the n/a tranny. I would recommind swapping out your tranny drive shaft and rear end for a TII, just buy a parts car if you can, all you need is a rolling chassis. Then you can get the 4 piston fron brakes and vented rear brakes too. If you do not do this from the begining you will probably have to later, the TII drive shaft is twice the size of an N/A one so its not a question of if you break it, its when.

Add your comment to this topic!