Page updated on 06-18-2018

Cavi will not start, turns over, no fuel, no spark

07-30-2004, 07:17 PM
My 95 Cavi standard trans. has been at the dealer for 2 weeks. They cannot figure out why it will not start. It cranks fine but is not getting fuel or spark. So far the control module and crank position sensor have been replaced. This is the second control module in 2 months. It ran fine until I let it sit for 2 weeks. I assume that they checked the ignition coils and module. Anyone have any elusive ground wire problems or other oddities to suggest? I'm afraid they are going to give up.

07-30-2004, 08:06 PM
he took it to the deal they did everything they could think of.. then he brought it home and was lookin at it and he saw his Coil Wire to the distributor cap was foiled out he replaced it and it started up its only $2 so if i dont work for u then... its not a loss

07-30-2004, 08:11 PM
This car doesn't have a distributor.

07-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Cavy-pimp. This car has no coil wire or distributor cap. How can you be Cavy-pimp and not be aware of GM's DIS system?

Check your Oil Pressure Sending Unit. The module will not send fuel or spark until it get a reading that you have oil pressure. This feature keeps you from running out of oil and killing your motor. Pretty cool. You may also want to check the ignition switch and its plug. Good Luck.

07-30-2004, 08:22 PM
thanks Public

07-30-2004, 09:22 PM
any other suggestions?

08-02-2004, 08:24 AM
to Public:
GM dealer head mechanic says faulty Oil pressure sending unit would not cut off fuel and spark.
???????????? Could you give me something to show them.

08-04-2004, 02:22 AM
i had a 1995 s-10 withthe 2.2 liter engine and i had the same problem... It ended up being a ignition switch. The dealership had no idea either... they are idiots anyway... ask them to check out ur ignition switch... i dont know if it will solve ur fuel problem, but it will ur spark problem.

08-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Yes, The oil pressure switch (There's 2 of them sometimes-one for the light/gauge and another for the cutout) will cause a no fuel/no spark condition.'
It's there to protect the engine from running with low oil pressure.
Sometimes a piece of crud or a metal chip will get hung up in that switch and keep it from working correctly-especially if you have not changed the oil in a long time.

08-05-2004, 03:38 PM
The oil sending unit on this car is $5 at autozone. I believe you only have one-like my 89 and my 94 2.2. It has several wires on the harness plug. It is a little hard to get to because it is about center on the block under the intake manifold, kinda behind the module/coilpacks. For $5 I would just change it. It only takes a few minutes. The Ignition switch is also possible but more difficult to change. As for something to send you as proof. Schematics in a Haynes manual are all I have, you could copy them at the public library I guess.

08-25-2004, 04:31 PM
I just had the coils and module changed cuz they had gone bad. The machanic had wrote something bout changing a CAP too, but they don't remember what the hell that meant. My 97 Z24 ran for about a day and a half but now it won't start. Everything seems to be turning, but there's no spark and nothing's firing. I haven't checked the position sensor yet. Would the be the most likely problem, or which of the above seems the most like my problem?

08-25-2004, 08:44 PM
The crank position sensor would be the most likely in my experience. Please check the harness plugs on the module and the oil sending unit. If these do not cure the problem, then go for the ignition switch. Not real expensive, just a little tricky to change. Good Luck.

08-26-2004, 12:51 PM
check your fuseable links. It's highly possible a mouse or other vermin got under your hood and chewed through some wires while the car set. The electrical system is fed by these fuseable links, and would cause no spark, no fuel if no power is being supplied to the fuel pump relay and ignition module.

08-26-2004, 03:22 PM
The fusable links are visible next to the starter on this car. A bad one would cause this condition but they are very easy to test and replace.

Add your comment to this topic!