Page updated on 10-23-2017

Best Scan Tool

prginocx
07-30-2004, 05:32 PM
I've got a 1989 Buick LeSabre with a 3.8L V6. What is the best Scan tool to work on this type of ECM ?

public
07-30-2004, 08:39 PM
1989 is OBDI so you do not need a scanner to retreive codes. You connect a jumper wire between two terminals on the OBDI plug. The Service Engine light will flash a Morse Code like sequence. It will repeat each one 3 times starting with 1-2, 1-2, 1-2, then any codes will flash. When all codes are done the 1-2 will repeat. Look up the codes in a Haynes manual or even online. WaLa,, you are all done. Good Luck.

cswor
08-15-2004, 12:35 PM
autozone can fix you up with a reader. just make sure you get one that can do obd I. may have to get one that can do both I & II. you might also be able to get a cheap one at walmart. ebay is another place where you may save a little.

i just bought a scanner on ebay. hasn't arrived yet. i'll post something after i get it and try it out. i have several vehicles that need help.

GMax13.2
07-26-2013, 10:01 PM
I was wondering who makes the best scan tool without having the factory scan tools to access/diagnose?
My main question also is what does anyone think of the Snap-on Verus Pro? Even compared to the other brands.
Thanks in advance for any help.

enslow
07-27-2013, 12:13 AM
I like Auto X Ray. It has the ability to scan codes, and also will record live data, like a flight recorder. It collects 30 data points. The tool contains adapters for GM OBDI, T Ford OBDI, GM OBD1.5, and OBD II. It's not a professional tool, but it is far better than a code reader, and, in it's price range, the best I know of. Other's may know of something better.

Believe me, I understand the value of having a scan tool instead of a code reader or reading the codes from reading check engine flashes.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk HD

Add your comment to this topic!