Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

satellite radio

N2CARS
07-30-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm interested in getting satellite radio installed. XM and Sirius are available. Does anyone have any experience with either of these. What do you think?

KMoney28
07-30-2004, 05:02 PM
I have Sirius. It's $12.99 a month(which you get billed all at once). I was lucky enough to find a unit that was clearanced out at $10 sp it didn't cost me much at all. Reception is pretty good for the most part and the number of channels and variety of music is above average. If you plan on getting a headunit anyway, then get one that is XM or Sirius ready and try out the service for a year, you can't go wrong.

PaulD
08-01-2004, 10:58 AM
beleive or not, I was talking to a sirus investor this week. They are more tuned to sports stuff, and technically they have better reception - especially in big cities.

thundrks
08-04-2004, 05:32 PM
I've installed both and I would say go with the XM, first of all both are satellites so no matter what if the antenna on your car is blocked by tall buildings or in a parking garage they arn't going to work. second XM has TWO satellites 'ROCK' and 'ROLL' (how cool are those names)YES sirius has more commercial free stations but it also cost's more per month. I'm very impressed with the content with XM and other people must agree because roughly compared my installs are 90% XM and 10% sirius.
HoPe ThiS HeLpS....
-MaRcY

Harryc8786
08-11-2004, 11:35 PM
I think sirius wins. If you pay for a year upfront its like 10 bucks a month not 12.99 i think. They have good stations alota rock ones. 1 tip, if your headunit supposrts sirus or xm try using that. When you get a seperate display for the radio then the quality isn't as good as wired right to the headunit.

Harryc8786
08-11-2004, 11:35 PM
ps, i havent listened to regular radio since Sirius

StealthModifier
08-12-2004, 12:48 AM
i have an alpine head unit thats XM ready.. what all do i need to get to have xm? and how much money am i looking at?

mx6rrr
08-12-2004, 02:23 AM
basically youll have to find an alpine dedicated xm satellite tuner, usually run about 200 bucks, im not really sure about alpine but you may have to buy a sperate antenna and cable. call your local alpine dealer...or any alpine dealer for that matter.....

i have xm and its great, hardly listen to fm or cd anymore, its awesome sound quality and a wide selection of music. it has unedited stations and some different types of music you usally dont get around on public stations.
sirrius has 3 satellites vs xm's 2, so they do have a bit better reception. sirrius also just signed an agreement with nfl so they will be brodcasting football games, i would say if you like sports i would get sirrius. also, sirrius in the future is the only one (so far) that will be able to stream video.

StealthModifier
08-12-2004, 08:29 PM
a guy at circuit city told me that there in the making of a tuner for mine.. so i donno if theres a universal one, or just to wait and get the alpine one.. but i did ak him when i got the system. and this was about 5 months ago

herb1972
01-02-2008, 05:22 PM
I just bought a Sirrius radio that connects to the cassette player in the dashboard but I want to find out if there is a way to connect it to the amp (if there is one on my 2000 Dodge Intrepid). Any one familiar with this car?

sickcallawayc12
01-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Welcome to AF. No need to resurrect old threads, go ahead and start a new one by way of the new thread tab up top of the forum.

Having a factory amp in an Intrepid is a long shot, but even if it did, why would you want to? The best hookup is aux input and its unlikely that it would be there. It would probably be around the back of the deck or something, but check the Intrepid forum under Dodge here for possibilities on an aux input. I know the cassette adapter sucks, but there are worse options.

And FYI, i've been a SIRUIS customer for 4 months now and am very pleased with it overall over XM.

pimprolla112
01-03-2008, 01:19 AM
XM for 2 years no complaints, and soon they will both be the same anyways so it wont matter.

sickcallawayc12
01-03-2008, 09:33 PM
XM isn't bad, but SIRIUS offers far more music.

sbo2tec
01-24-2008, 12:44 AM
I'll go with sirius too.. em.. heard that xm and sirius were gonna merge or something.. check cnn out

Add your comment to this topic!