Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Loud clicking/popping noise from rear brakes when slowing down...

SoftFiZ
07-30-2004, 12:01 PM
I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent, 30,000 miles on it.

I just had the large 30,000 mile service a few weeks ago.

For weeks now it's driven great, but a few days ago it developed a loud clicking/popping sound from one of the rear brakes.

It doesnt make noise while turning so I'm sure it isnt worn wheel bearings or CV-joints, it also doesnt occur when I'm just driving, so I'm sure it's not a rock or nail in the tire.

Problem is sometimes it makes the noise and sometimes it doesnt. There's no reason to it, whats stranger is sometimes it'll happen an entire drive, then when I park the car and drive later it'll go without making the noise at all.

I'm wondering if a pad is loose, but I dont feel anything odd through the pedal, it still holds tight and there is no vibrations.

Any ideas on what it could be?

Thanks!

twospirits
07-30-2004, 04:36 PM
First, let me welcome you to the forum and the AF family.
Second, while I am no Hyundai Tech person I took the liberty of checking Hyundai Webtech (http://www.hmaservice.com/) and the only thing I see is a rattle or creak noise heard inside the vehicle coming from the door hinge area (any four doors) Are you sure its coming from the rear brakes or can it be from the rear door? If it is then check out tsb # 00-60-003-1 (http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394875557#_394875557) on webtech. If its not the door hinge then maybe a Hyundai Tech member in the forum can possibly think of something else.

TS out

944_PT
07-30-2004, 05:31 PM
hi!!
sorry ... I use a translator

I already had a big noise in the axis rear that ace times it appeared and it disappeared, very strong in bad floor, it was the support of the bar stabilize part, you verifies that and good luck......

andrew348
07-30-2004, 07:13 PM
HELLO

AFEW QUESTIONS When the noise occurs is it when you apply the brake .

If so i have seen wheel cylinders cause a noise like you describe .

what happens is the wheel cylinders get stuck or seized and when you press the brake it will free up and travel within its bore with excessive force causing a popping noise when it hits the brake shoes . please note this noise would only occur while depressing the brake

and although it is a brake component it is covered for 5 60k

SoftFiZ
08-03-2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the information everyone, to answer the questions, it ONLY happens when I apply the brake, and then, it only does it sometimes, but when it does it's very noticable.

I believe it's coming from the rear passanger side.

Only question, if it a sticky wheel cylinder, is it dangerous?

I mean, I will be taking it in, but I just cant for a few more days, I wont be putting more then 10 or so miles on it over the next few days, but until then, is it very dangerous?

By the way, the brakes seem to hold ok, there is no pedal vibration or shaking while slowing.

Thanks for any help!

andrew348
08-03-2004, 07:07 PM
it could be dangeroud and it could be nothing i would take it in asap . does the dealer you go to have a trac car aka loaner car program .

also if the noise is happening when u go in i sugest that you ask to take a drive with someone . So that you and the representitive both hear verify the complaint .

ps drop us a line and tell us what the noise was noise was .

SoftFiZ
08-12-2004, 04:05 PM
Well... update time.

Basically, one morning it just stopped making the noise. Cant really take it in to the shop if they wont be able to re-create the sound.

So, for now... who knows what it was.

Like I said before, the brakes seem to work fine, no pedal thumping or slipping, nothing I can tell is any different then before.

I wonder if something was stuck on the disc.

Anyhow, thanks for your help all, sorry I cant answer what it was.

Add your comment to this topic!