Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SL1 Service Engine Light

Saturn_Girl
07-30-2004, 07:49 AM
help! I've got a 1998 Saturn SL1 that the Service Engine light came on for the first time last night. It seems to run fine at normal speeds, however when idling or driving very slow (under 30 mph) it runs VERY rough.. almost sounds like it's going to cut out..

No saturn dealer in my area, and having trouble finding someone with a computer to test it.. any ideas??

Thanks!

adragon202
07-30-2004, 07:14 PM
under the dash, by the hood poper, there is a termial, 2 high, 14 or 16 wide i think. there will be only three wires hooked up to it. all on the right side, two on top one on bottom. with the engine off, put the paper clip in the two top holes, shorting it out. the SES light will blink the codes

Saturn_Girl
07-30-2004, 07:17 PM
It blinked 5 times then stayed on.. (this was earlier today)

Took it to autozone this morning to get it tested.. their computer said 1 cylinder was misfiring.. kinda tapped on the plugs.. and it seems to be fine.. something more I should do or did something maybe just come loose?

help! I've got a 1998 Saturn SL1 that the Service Engine light came on for the first time last night. It seems to run fine at normal speeds, however when idling or driving very slow (under 30 mph) it runs VERY rough.. almost sounds like it's going to cut out..

No saturn dealer in my area, and having trouble finding someone with a computer to test it.. any ideas??

Thanks!

300+
07-30-2004, 07:21 PM
If it was just tapping on the plug wire that fixed it, check and make sure it is well connected. Push it on tight. Otherwise just let us know if it happens again.

Saturn_Girl
07-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Thanks.. I'll drive it a bit this weekend around town just to make sure, but I'm hoping that's all it is.. thanks so much!

If it was just tapping on the plug wire that fixed it, check and make sure it is well connected. Push it on tight. Otherwise just let us know if it happens again.

sierrap615
07-31-2004, 05:08 PM
under the dash, by the hood poper, there is a termial, 2 high, 14 or 16 wide i think. there will be only three wires hooked up to it. all on the right side, two on top one on bottom. with the engine off, put the paper clip in the two top holes, shorting it out. the SES light will blink the codes

that only works on 91-95 saturns

Add your comment to this topic!