Page updated on 10-18-2017

86 Lesabre heater display lights blink/heater doesn't work

Mark Spitzer
07-28-2004, 09:18 PM
I just can't figure it out. The radiator's filled up, the cap and thermostat are pretty new, but the display is blinking and the heat doesn't work. However, when I turn the heater on, then turn the car off and start it again, the heater lights don't blink and it blows hot air no prob. Any ideas?

camargobp
07-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I just can't figure it out. The radiator's filled up, the cap and thermostat are pretty new, but the display is blinking and the heat doesn't work. However, when I turn the heater on, then turn the car off and start it again, the heater lights don't blink and it blows hot air no prob. Any ideas?

I have no Idea, I have the same problem and it is bugging the heck out of me... I have been looking for an answer or an Idea for a long time. I just got done replacing the a/c sensor in front of the radiator thinking that might help. But no luck.

HotZ28
07-19-2005, 08:21 PM
Blender door actuator. Sounds like the vacuum diaphragm is bad.

camargobp
07-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Would that cause the A/C not to work as well? The heat works just fine, but the AUTO button just blinks as does the temperature display.

HotZ28
07-22-2005, 09:17 AM
When the control unit is blinking, it is setting a code. It could be low freon, data line failure, blender doors, or a host of problems. Not sure exactly how a 86 works, but the following may help.

This procedure will work on 1992 and 1994 models with ATC, and may possibly also work on 1988-1991 models.

The diagnostic mode also contains a data list mode and an override mode.

Be careful not to select modes 01 or 02, as these are different modes, and may cause problems.

If you suspect you are in the wrong mode, press OFF repeatedly until you exit to normal mode. If the temperature display flashes for 2 minutes when the ignition is turned to RUN, a trouble code is set.

1. Turn ignition to RUN. Press OFF and WARM (temperature up) buttons simultaneously.

2. Watch the segment test, then the trouble codes will be displayed.

3. Code Key:

00 - No codes

10 or 110 - Ambient Temp Sensor circuit open or shorted.

13 or 113 - In-Vehicle Temp Sensor circuit open or shorted.

15 or 115 - LH Solar Sensor circuit open or shorted.

35 or 135 - Data Line failure - HVAC Control Assembly

38 or 138 - Data Line failure - PCM

40 or 140 - Driver Air Mix Motor circuit open or shorted, or not calibrated

48 or 148 - Long Term Freon Loss

52 or 152 - Keep Alive Memory lost; sets with battery disconnected

66 or 166 - Low Freon

A number 1 prefix indicates a history trouble code

4. Press OFF twice once codes are displayed to end diagnostic mode, OR to clear trouble codes, press FAN DOWN three times (make sure 03 is displayed).

Once 03 is displayed, press FAN UP to clear trouble codes. Then repeatedly press OFF to end diagnostic mode.

camargobp
07-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Blender door actuator. Sounds like the vacuum diaphragm is bad.

Thank you that worked great! I don't know where you foundd that information but it would be great if you could point me in that direction.

ChuckSnyder
06-25-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey HotZ28,
I have the same situation with my 95 Lesabre with climate control. The temp
indicator blinks on and off. The air conditioner works ok after blowing hot air
for 30 seconds or so. I tried the diagnostics as you described, but nothing
happens. Is there a different procedure for my 95.
Thanks, Chuck

HotZ28
06-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Chuck, sorry to say this, but the 1995 would need an ACC capable scanner. Some of the AC shops that specialize in AC work, should have a scanner. Unfortunately, the 95 LeSabre is a bastard PCM/ECM, OBD1-OBD11 combination and it may be hard to find a shop with the right equipment. I.E. scanner, cables. Use your phone to make some calls and ask questions in order to find a shop with the right equipment. Worst case scenario, would be to take it to the, “Stealer Dealer"! :disappoin
The codes are basically the same as far as pinpointing the problem.

POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards.

If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread. Rules/Guidelines (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/guidelines.html)

This thread has been locked, due to the age of the thread (2+ yrs)!

Here is how to: Post New Thread (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=105)
(http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=105)

Add your comment to this topic!